Trinity a Great Example of Rugby’s Growing Popularity

Jacob Ferree, Staff Reporter

Not a traditional Kentucky sport, rugby has been growing in popularity over the past three years.

I had never been to a rugby game until this season, but after attending one, I can easily say that rugby is one of the most intense and exciting sports I have ever seen.  With non-stop action, there is almost no down time as teams are strategically setting up scoring plays throughout the game.   

This year’s team is very balanced and does a great job of playing as a team. We have a ton of natural leaders out there, and their will to win is infectious. I tell the guys, ‘It is very hard to beat relentless effort.’ I am very proud to call myself their coach.

— Trinity rugby head coach Richard Plouffe

Griffin Ballard, captain of Trinity’s rugby team, was drawn to the Europe-rooted rugby after football season was over.

Ballard said, “When I first started, I just saw rugby as a sport to pick up. After my first season, I realized that rugby is by far one of the best sports I’ve ever played.”

There aren’t many opportunities to play rugby in the state of Kentucky outside high school and college.  There isn’t an official youth rugby league for kids in grade schools.  Trinity adding a rugby team to its club sports list definitely draws guys to our school because not many schools in Louisville (or even the state) have a team.

Ronan Kinsella, a junior and associate captain of the rugby team, said, “I did primarily come to Trinity because I knew they had a rugby program, and I was excited about that.  I didn’t have a lot of opportunities to play as a younger kid.”

Rugby draws more players every year.  Trinity’s team has grown so much there are enough players to field two full A and B teams.  The decision was made to have two teams to focus on player development rather than have players not get any game action.

Of having two teams, Trinity head coach Richard Plouffe said, “The benefit of having such a large number of players is tremendous. It allows us to do a lot more in practice than in years past, and it has really shown on the field.  Being able to have two full sides has really helped our player development for not only this season but for future seasons to come. A lot of the players like the B team aspect because it allows them to make mistakes and play on an equal level with other teams.  Having two teams has allowed everyone to play — and to play a lot.”

Trinity got off to a strong start this season, going undefeated in the Nashville Invitational, which featured some of the best teams in the Kentucky region. Robert Streeter recently signed a letter of intent with the University of North Alabama, and Steven Franconia, Josh Heath and Michael Hiestand have all been talking to the University of Kentucky and the University of Louisville.  Both Franconia and Heath are considering playing for one of these schools while on scholarship.  This is phenomenal knowing that both players just started playing this year.

The team has been confident this year, believing they can bring home a state title.

“I think this year is a good year for us,” Ballard said. “We have a good mix of new athletes and returning guys as well as the leadership from the seniors.  It’s going to come down to discipline. We have the physical edge over everyone in the state, but it’s all about how well we can handle penalties or how well we can mentally be prepared for the game.  It’s more of us beating ourselves than anyone beating us, really.”

Plouffe said, “This year’s team is very balanced and does a great job of playing as a team.  We have a ton of natural leaders out there, and their will to win is infectious.  I tell the guys, ‘It is very hard to beat relentless effort.’  I am very proud to call myself their coach.”

The comments about capturing our first state championship seem to correlate with what I saw on the field.  This team loves to share the ball, as there are several play makers on both the A and B who are willing to step in at a moment’s notice and lay it all on the line.