Arguing Two Sides of a Historic Presidential Election — and Your Decision!

photo by Nick Mattingly

Justin DePrado, Staff Reporter

With the election next Tuesday, Nov. 8, I took this opportunity to rack my brain and argue both sides: Why you should vote Trump and why you should vote Clinton.

Donald Trump should be the next president of the United States

Some people ask, “Why Donald J. Trump?” I can list many reasons, but the main reason I support Trump is because there needs to be change in the government. The last real outsider in the White House was Ronald Reagan in the 1980s. That was nearly 30 years ago.  The country needs someone who has the point of view of an actual citizen rather than another political-insider robot,the kind produced every four years at election time.  America was founded on the principles that our government is for the people and by the people.  Trump represents the people and not a ruling class of political puppets.

Other reasons for supporting Trump:

• He has not purposely wiped an entire email server clean, trying to hide things he does not want exposed.
  • Some believe Trump does not have the experience to be the commander-in-chief. I disagree completely with those claims. Trump has about the same amount of “experience” as Hillary Clinton, maybe more, but his experience comes from living and working in the real world. Trump has been around the globe and talked with some very powerful people. He has to negotiate all the time as part of his international business.
  • He is not tainted with having caused the deaths of four soldiers or multiple investigations by the FBI.

Of course, Trump is not a perfect person; but neither is anyone.  Just as I would with any normal person, I disagree with some of Trump’s views.  I do not agree with some of the rhetoric regarding specific ethnic groups and his points of view on women, but I would much rather disagree with some points than to completely disagree with everything he stands for.

Trump is well liked throughout the US because of his strong views about border control and building a wall. Supporters appreciate his support for America’s military men and women, and that he wants to help veterans.

Though some people believe Trump is a bigot and a racist, I don’t agree.  The media tries to twist his words. Because he has said some things about people we would rather not hear does not mean he is a racist or a bigot.

Trump should be President because he is not part of the political machine that has all but created a virtual ruling class in America. He is also a better choice for president because he has not lied to the public or failed to protect Americans when they most needed it, as Hilary has done repeatedly.

Hillary supporters say, “That’s all you can talk about when it comes to Hillary” and “There is no actual proof to back up your statements.”  There is, however, a great deal of information indicating she could have done more to prevent the attack in Benghazi, and it is a fact that she lied in front of a Congressional committee about it.  Trump is not only ready to become president, he is ready to “Make America Great Again.”

Hillary Clinton should be the next president of the United States

Some opponents say Hilary Clinton is a liar, a murderer, a criminal, corrupt and much more. That’s not, however, what her supporters say.  Clinton may have made a mistake once or twice, but so has everyone.  While she has made mistakes, she is still a better candidate than Donald Trump.

Clinton actually has experience as a political leader, legislator and international policy maker. Trump simply does not have that kind of experience.  Clinton has actually done things in the government, among them helping kids gain access to education as a senator in New York.

Clinton was instrumental in finding and killing Osama Bin Laden when she was secretary of state.  All of this experience makes her extremely ready to be the next commander-in-chief. She would be the most prepared for dealing with foreign relations.

Unlike Trump, Clinton actually has a plan to deal with problems; she doesn’t just say she’s going to build a wall.  She will actually address undocumented immigrants, of all nationalities, in an organized and financially responsible way.  She will use trade and diplomacy, something Trump seems to lack, to keep illegal immigrants out.

People in this country support Hillary because she actually makes sense to voters. Her plans would not only help job growth, but also would help the struggling middle-class families in the US.

Clinton has an actual plan to defeat ISIS; she doesn’t just say that she will do it. There has been talk about how she may have deleted emails on purpose, and the FBI is now looking at emails on her aide’s laptop, but Clinton has always told everyone the truth. On a couple of occasions, she may have forgotten some details, something that can happen when testifying for 12 hours straight.

Clinton would not only be a great president, she would be a great leader for the people.  Clinton would set a good example for women — and men.  She would insure the government works and comes together to actually get things done. She would help bring the parties together to help America — and Americans — become more prosperous.

In a Landslide, You Say Trump Should Win

With less than a week until millions of citizens across the country flood to the polls to cast their ballots, the minds of most Americans are made up. The nearly year-and-a-half-long process of selecting the next president of the United States has been anything but easy — or according to script. It has seen history made, favorites fall, and even left- and right-wing revolutions stall. After the dust of the primary season had finally settled, the American people found themselves with a choice to make: a choice between four unique characters, each with their own unique characteristics and styles.

The choices are former Sectary of State Hillary Clinton (Democratic Party), businessman Donald J. Trump (Republican Party), former Governor of New Mexico Gary Johnson (Libertarian Party), and physician and environmental activist Jill Stein (Green Party).

To gauge the thoughts of a cross section of the student body, the ECHO conducted a poll to see who they think the next leader of the free world should be. The poll was conducted in students’ advising classes and included students from every grade level. Each participant was able to cast his vote anonymously.

A total of 135 votes were cast for one of the four candidates mentioned above. The results were as follows: Trump — 87 votes (64.6 percent);  Johnson — 30 votes (22.2 percent); Clinton — 15 votes (11.1 percent); Stein — 3 votes (2.2%).

Had the fate of the country rested in the hands of Trinity’s student body, Donald J. Trump would be the next president of the United States of America. The nation will decide our real fate on election day, Nov. 8.

Don’t forget to vote!

Alec McGuire and Mark Hughes discuss the candidates.  Videos by Nick Mattingly.