Trinity’s Department of Theatre Arts to Present ‘The Warriors’

photo by Michael Payne

Trinity Artistic Director Mr. William P. Bradford II

Cole Crush, Staff Reporter

The Trinity Department of Theatre Arts presents the fall production of “The Warriors — a reflection on PTSD” by Mr. William P. Bradford II.

Bradford is the artistic director and author of the play. Bradford said he has been part of theatre since he was a child performer.

Bradford, who has worked with Trinity theatre for 45 years, said he has enjoyed every play: “The play that you are working with at that moment is the best because you dedicate yourself to that play.”

Bradford’s favorite part about directing is teaching young students how to act. He said, “Watching the students understand the literature coming to life is a great love affair.”

Bradford created “The Warriors” to show people the effects that veterans have after war from post traumatic stress disorder. There are more than three million cases of PTSD per year in the United States. In the US, 22 veterans die by suicide every day from PTSD.

Bradford said, “ I have traveled throughout the country, and everywhere I go, I see veterans and see that they are broken inside and cannot get help from people. It is painful to see these people suffer.”

Before the plays and rehearsals, the actors do 22 push-ups to honor those veterans who have died from PTSD.

Trinity sophomore Nick Loper is playing the role of Stephen Roswell in the “The Warriors.” The actors in this play got to choose their own names, and Loper chose Stephen Roswell. Roswell is shell shocked from war. He tried being faithful to religion but lost his faith.

Loper has been acting for almost half his life. From the third grade until seventh grade, he acted occasionally. In the third grade, Loper played the role of Ebenezer Scrooge in “A Christmas Carol.” He really got into acting when he was in the seventh grade after meeting an actress from a show.

“The Warriors” will be his third play at Trinity. Last year Loper was in “The Robber Bridegroom” and “The Miser.” His favorite part about acting is “stepping out of reality in someone’s shoes.”

Senior Loui Chang will play the role of Jeremy Ryan. Chang has been acting for 15 years. His dad was a professional actor and writes plays. “The Warriors” will be Chang’s eighth play at Trinity. He has starred in every production since his freshman year. He describes his favorite part about acting as “getting to discover a side that you have never been to. You get to become a different person.”

Ryan is a veteran going through PTSD and is constantly tired and has nightmares. Chang describes “The Warriors” as “the effects that war has on people. It is more of a play of respect for soldiers.”

***************

“The Warriors — A Reflection on PTSD,” a play written by Trinity’s esteemed artistic director Mr. William P. Bradford II, will open tomorrow night at 7 p.m. in Trinity Auditorium. The Department of Theatre Arts will present the play eight times — Nov. 8, 9, 10, 12, 16, 17, 19 (all at 7 p.m.) and Nov. 20 at 2:00. Adult tickets are $10 and student and senior tickets are $8.  The play is produced by Ms. Kate E. Reedy. In the following videos, Bradford talks about his career and the writing of this dramatic work (videos by Michael Payne):