What If Everyone Could be Exempt?

Michael Webb, Staff Reporter

No study guides, no stress, zero anxiety, and out of school a week early. All these scenarios could be possible for everyone if all class levels had the opportunity to be exempt from end-of-semester exams.

For many years, Trinity has allowed seniors to be exempt from taking the second semester final, that is if they earned an A (90 or higher) for both quarters of the second semester. When the school became totally semester based a few years ago, the exemption opportunity for seniors was expanded to the first semester as well.

Trinity is not the only school that offers this perk to seniors. St. Xavier, Sacred Heart and Assumption also allow some version of senior exam exemptions.  

If we don’t give them comprehensive tests, then going forward when they do have midterms in college, they’ve never had the opportunity to develop that skill.

— Trinity Dean of Studies Jennifer Browning

As an underclassman, I remember being envious of the seniors and their special privilege. But I also thought to myself, why do I not deserve to be exempt if I get an A both quarters? I have obviously proven that I understand the material throughout the semester. Why must I have to prove my “memory” of it all for a 75-minute test?

“I think there are certain skill sets that kids learn when they have to study for really big comprehensive tests,” said Mrs. Jennifer Browning, a Trinity Dean of Studies. “If we don’t give them comprehensive tests, then going forward when they do have midterms in college, they’ve never had the opportunity to develop that skill.”

​She isn’t wrong, but then again, allowing all students to have the chance to be exempt from the semester exams would encourage students to be more committed and studious throughout the whole year, rather than for only parts of it. Because no one wants to take a final, exemption possibilities are bound to raise students’ averages quite a bit.

Another benefit of fewer students taking midterms is much less work for the teachers. Less grading, fewer tests to make up — it would benefit both parties.

Many students have poor test-taking skills, many suffer from anxiety, and others just have trouble recalling everything that has gone on the entire semester.

Junior Sam Hovious is in favor of the idea. He said, “I mean, I’d love it. I get that it is a senior privilege, but still, it would benefit a lot of kids who have trouble with big tests in the first place and also give more kids a reason to try the whole year.”