All-State Dominance — Track Rocks Second in State, Capture Region Four Title

photo by Robert Davis

Caleb Costin scored a first in the region in the shot put.

ECHO Staff, Staff Reporter

The Region Four champion Rocks notched the following first-place trophies: 3,200 relay (Jacob Burnam, Glavin Swain, Jacob Travelstead, Alex Cyterski), 800 relay (David Spalding, Ahmad Johnson, Rondale Moore, Alex Wilson), 400 relay (Spalding, Jacob Dingle, Wilson, Moore), and 1,600 relay (Sullivan, Burnam, Wilson, Johnson).
Firsts were also locked down in the 100 (Moore), 1,600 (Trevor Warren), 400 (Johnson), 800 (Burnam), 200 (Wilson), 3,200 (Warren), shot put (Caleb Costin) and pole vault (Ryan Boyle).
The Rocks brought home the state runner-up trophy, falling by six points to Male, and racked up an amazing number of All-State recipients in numerous events. The 800 relay team of Johnson, Moore, Spalding and Wilson finished as state champs.
First Team All-State members were Wilson (200; 400 relay; 800 relay), Johnson (400; 800 relay), Burnam (800), Warren (1,600), Spalding (400 relay, 800 relay), Dingle (400 relay)  and Moore (400 relay; 800 relay).
Second Team All-Staters were Moore (100), Warren (3,200), Phil Sullivan (1,600 relay), Burnam (1,600 relay; 3,200 relay), Wilson (1,600 relay), Johnson (1,600 relay), Travelstead (3,200 relay), Cyterski (3,200 relay) and Glavin Swain  (3,200 relay).
Metro All-Area selections were First Team: Johnson, Spalding, Wilson, Moore, Warren; Second Team: Burnam, Dingle.                             — Athletics Dept.

Track Rocks Led by Experienced Core

by Sam Batcheldor

Coming off a successful indoor season and a first at the Harry Greschel Invite, held at Christian Academy on Mar. 18, the track Rocks prepare this week for the Battle of the Bluegrass at Boyle County High School on Mar. 25.

As the mild Kentucky winter came to a close, the Rocks entered this season with a group of experienced athletes. Of the multiple returning varsity competitors across the spectrum of events, jumping Coach Barry Swearingen said,  “This is one of the best senior classes we have had because a lot of guys came out early and stuck with it.”

Among the Rocks leading the way are dynamic and proven sprinters junior Alex Wilson and senior Ahmad Johnson. Wilson expressed his confidence in running the 200 and 400: “We have a good opportunity all around. I feel confident competing for the state.”

He also expressed his confidence in his fellow sprinter, Johnson, in competing in the 100. Wilson warned of some stiff competition, especially from J.P. Vaught, whom he described as “incredibly fast!”

Wilson said he has worked hard on his starts. He said, “Starts either make or break you.”

Outside the realm of sprinters, the Rocks core of state competitors includes some jumpers, among them DeKaleb Thomas and Tamron Keith, who compete in the high jump and triple jump.

Another notable jumper is Jacob Dingle, who has proven himself at the varsity level as a sophomore in the long jump.

Another senior who is a leader of the team is the powerhouse discus and shot thrower Caleb Costin.  The distance runners, among them sophomore Jack Baum, will also lead the way as the season progresses toward state.

Swearingen said throughout the season his “biggest worry is staying healthy.”