Pfaadt Name Synonymous with Trinity Baseball

Trinity+senior+Brandon+Pfaadt+heads+to+base+following+a+hit+against+St.+Xavier.+

photo by James Michnya

Trinity senior Brandon Pfaadt heads to base following a hit against St. Xavier.

Matt Gadd, Staff Reporter

One out in the top of the sixth inning, the count is 1 strike and 2 balls. Brett Pfaadt stares into the pitcher’s cold eyes. Brett swings at a low fastball and nails it for his second home run in the game.

While running the bases, Brett makes eye contact with grandpa Bob Pfaadt — and he finally feels like he made it.

Trinity sophomore Brett was in Cooperstown, New York, for a tournament. His entire family was there so he had to impress. That game Brett hit two home runs, sealing a one-run victory. While he was rounding third, the look of indescribable excitement gave Brett a lasting memory that he will never forget.

Brett is a third-generation athlete — with grandpa playing baseball, mom Staci Pfaadt playing basketball, dad Brian playing soccer, and both brothers playing baseball.

Even though expectations may be high, Brett doesn’t fail under the pressure. He even described it as a blessing, saying, “I always try to live up to my family’s success.”

Brett’s brother Brandon, a Trinity senior and star baseball player, said, ” I don’t feel any pressure. I would like to succeed in their footsteps, but it just provides me with motivation.”

Bob Pfaadt, a 1959 alum who is in the Trinity Hall of Fame, has not only impacted his family but the world around him. He taught, was athletic director and administrator at Trinity and taught at Bellarmine University, where he also served as an administrator.  

Most baseball players don’t make it in college and don’t even dream about making it to the pros, so you go to plan a life after baseball. The values that my grandpa taught me have helped me so much. Even if I don’t play college baseball, I will still use things he taught me.

— Trinity sophomore Brett Pfaadt

When they were younger and still growing up, a sense of competitiveness was ingrained in all the youngsters.

Brett said, “Being the youngest playing against two older brothers forced me to always play my hardest, get better and have a fierce drive to win.” Brett turned being the youngest child into a blessing. He learned from watching their baseball games, learned from their mistakes and picked up tips that work.

While Brett was in fourth grade and Brandon was in sixth grade, they were both playing in the city championship on the same day, same place.

Dad Brian coached Brett’s team. They played the games on fields adjacent to each other. Grandpa Bob had the tough decision of which game to watch, so he decided to run back and forth to each field, leaving him happy yet very tired at the end of the day. Brett’s team won while Brandon’s lost.

Brian said of his father, “I can still picture him running back and forth to each field.”

Named All-Region last year, Brandon was recently a nominee for the C-J’s Athlete of the Week for tossing “six shutout innings, allowing two hits and (adding) three RBIs in a 10-0 win over Pleasure Ridge Park on Apr. 12.”

The top-ranked Rocks are preparing for the Louisville Invitational Tournament.

There are many things that Brian and Staci have done to help their kids succeed.

Brett said, “It’s soothing to know that even after a tough loss, I know my parents will be there to help get my mind off of it.”

Staci and Brian have made countless sacrifices for their kids. Among the things they have done is place their sons in travel ball in the summer.

Staci said, “Even though it’s a lot of  money, it’s worth seeing them have fun and improve their skills.”

Bob has done many things for Brandon and Brett, including being a role model. Brett said, “He taught me sportsmanship, set a path for success, taught me respect, and an overall love for the game.”

Bob first introduced Brett to the game of baseball. He taught Brett the fundamentals of the game and also instilled values that will help him on and off the sports field.

Brett said, “Most baseball players don’t make it in college and don’t even dream about making it to the pros, so you go to plan a life after baseball. The values that my grandpa taught me have helped me so much. Even if I don’t play college baseball, I will still use things he taught me.”