Did ‘Mockingjay’ Make a Mockery of ‘The Hunger Games’?

Hunter Mulloy, Staff Reporter

Though it’s been on DVD since late March, I’ve just gotten around to seeing the last installment of Suzanne Collins’ “The Hunger Games” trilogy. “The Hunger Games: Mockingjay — Part 2” just did not bring the excitement found early in the series. Compared to the first film, this one isn’t on the scale. People loved the first film adaptation — it’s what got Jennifer Lawrence on the map. Since its release seven months ago, “The Hunger Games: Mockingjay — Part 2”  has been forgotten, boycotted and enjoyed by few.

Before we discuss the movie, what is “”The Hunger Games: Mockingjay — Part 2”? It was the second part of the last installment of “The Hunger Games” series. The series takes place in a fictional world named Panem. The movie revolves around Katniss and Peeta and their mission to end the war and kill President Snow, leader of the Capital, while also recovering from the events that took place in Part 1.

This seems like a great story. The heroes finally throw down with the antagonist, end the war, and bring peace to the world. This movie should have been overflowing with positive reviews and hype, but no! This movie was boycotted by some and just plain forgotten about by many.   

The movie was good, but after Katniss shot President Coin, it got terrible. If they got rid of the last 10-15 minutes, it would have been golden.

— Trinity teacher Mrs. Betsy Darby

Mr. Michael Budniak, a Trinity teacher and movie connoisseur, boycotted the movie. Budniak said, “I have not seen the movie because I’m boycotting all movies that split one book into multiple movies, just to make a profit. It all started with the Harry Potter franchise and ‘The Hobbit.'”

Lots of others with the same view as Budniak took to social media to express their feelings and to encourage others to not see the movie.

The problems with the film do not seem to be present in the novel.  Mr. Rob Seng, a Trinity teacher and moderator of the Film Club, has read the book “Mockingjay” and likes it. In fact, he has used the book in his English classes.

Seng said it’s so great because “it’s from a female author, Suzanne Collins, and most guys are turned off by that.” Despite this gender barrier, Trinity students love the book.

Seng recalled the first time he gave a quiz on the book.  “First time I taught (the book), I gave a quiz out, and the (students) who did study for it were so excited to talk about the book. You could just tell that the ones who didn’t study for it were thinking to themselves ‘This book may have been a good book.’ The second time I gave a quiz out, everyone got a 100 on it.”

Did some enjoy this last film? Yes.  Trinity teacher Mrs. Betsy Darby had this to say about the movie “Nothing can beat the first one (‘The Hunger Games’), but ‘Mockingjay’ is probably my second favorite.”

Darby’s favorite scene of the film was with Katniss and her group in the town square when it began to fill with a black substance. She also liked that “Peeta and Katniss got back together.” Darby did have a major problem with the ending. “It was just so — cheesy!” Darby said, sighing loudly.  She did, however, think the ending wrapped things up appropriately. “The movie was good, but after Katniss shot President Coin, it got terrible. If they got rid of the last 10-15 minutes, it would have been golden.”

How does this movie compare to the others? “Mockingjay — Part 2″ wasn’t the worst, according to Darby. She said, “Catching Fire” was my least favorite, and I didn’t like the book either.”

Despite all the criticism and boycotts, this movie is still good, but nothing can beat the first installment. “Mockingjay — Part 2” may be too long, but it’s still a fun ride.