Don’t Muddy the Purity of College Sports by Paying Athletes

Ryan Cywinski, Staff Reporter

It is no secret that some college athletes bring in millions of dollars to their respective universities through their play on the field.  It’s only fair that these athletes get their share of this money, right?  No, it is not.  As a matter of fact, this premise is ridiculous.

Athletes on premier football teams or basketball teams have enough perks while attending school.

* Many receive scholarships that pay for their tuition in full.

* Some schools pay for their athletes’ meals and allow entire teams to stay in a house or dorm together.

* Some college athletes are often allotted extra time to complete assignments for their classes.

* Some college athletes receive free gear and equipment for the sport that he or she plays.  The list goes on.

Now, in addition to all of that, they want to get paid?  

Some people tend to forget that these are “amateur” athletes.  They are not pros.  The whole purpose of attending a post-secondary school is to get an education.  Playing a sport comes second.  In this sense, college should be no different than high school.

There are still some students, however, who take advantage of their status as a top-tier athlete for their school.  Some “student”-athletes do not attend class or put in any effort towards their studies.  In fact, there are some athletes who don’t think they should attend class at all.

National Champion Ohio State’s starting quarterback, Cardale Jones, expressed his opinion on attending class as an athlete with this gem of a Tweet:

“Why should we have to go to class if we came here to play FOOTBALL, we ain’t come to play SCHOOL, classes are POINTLESS”

He’s clearly taking advantage of all those books that the school paid for when he made his decision to attend OSU…… #sarcasm!

Do we look at players like Jones and Florida State’s Jameis Winston and think it is a good idea to pay these guys while they are still in college?  Who knows what they might do with a stack of money in their pockets.  We all know that Winston is not exactly the best at making good decisions.  With the added variable of money, players may become more of a liability to their team.

Another potential problem if athletes are paid: How will the NCAA determine which sports receive pay and which will not?  Of course, big revenue sports football and basketball become first priority if college athletes are to be paid, but what about, say, volleyball or golf?

Does the NCAA pay those athletes, too? Or do those sports get discriminated against because they don’t generate the bucks that the most popular sports bring in.

How will the NCAA resolve protests by those athletes who play less popular sports if they don’t end up receiving a paycheck.  In addition to this, Title IX lawsuits would may come into play if female athletes do not receive pay similar to male athletes.

Athletes should play for the love of the game and, in many cases, a free education when they are in college, not for the money.  Adding money to the equation simply takes away from the purity of amateur sports.