Hand in Hand Co-Founder Had ‘a Heart for the Underdog’

Axel Halvarson, Staff Reporter

Mr. Wayne Fowler
Mr. Wayne Fowler

Trinity alumni have been making a difference around the world for decades, none more so than 1969 graduate Wayne Richard Fowler.  Despite losing his battle against cancer on Mar. 3, 2016, Fowler’s Hand in Hand Ministries legacy continues.

Fowler is described by those who knew him as a man who cared for every person he met and would make everyone around him feel comfortable and loved.  He inspired not only members of the Trinity community to care for others, but people from all around the world as well.

Fowler found his inspiration while on a mission trip to Jamaica in 1994.  His trip involved service work that helped the locals.  He became so moved by the experience that he co-founded a group named Hand in Hand Ministries, where he worked for the remainder of his life. Fowler’s illness took him out of his day-to-day job as Hand in Hand Ministries CEO in 2012.

Trinity’s chemistry teacher Mr. Michael Budniak said, “Wayne valued contributions of every human being he encountered.”  3

After Fowler graduated from Trinity in 1969, he pursued his interests and talents in photography and journalism.  He worked for a newspaper in Florida as well as Kentucky.  Next, he earned a degree from Louisville’s Spaulding University and taught middle school and high school students.  

Marla Cautilli, the current CEO of Hand In Hand Ministries and a co-worker of Fowler’s for seven years, described him as “always having a heart for the underdog.  He could not turn his back on those in need.” Fowler was known for treating his co-workers as family.

The organization started in 1994 shortly after Fowler’s Jamaica experience.  Hand in Hand Ministries began with mission trips to Eastern Kentucky and the Appalachian area of the country. They still go to this area to this day.  There have also been mission trips to Central American countries such as Nicaragua and Belize.

Budniak has had four opportunities to work with Hand in Hand, traveling to Appalachia three times and Belize once.  Budniak, who taught Fowler’s son at Trinity, said, “(Wayne) found a passion for helping others.”

For Budniak, mission trips with Hand in Hand were more like immersion trips, involving more than building a house. The work involves meeting people and creating relationships that are meaningful.  2

Mr. Chris Luken, Trinity assistant Campus Minister, has also worked with Hand in Hand.  He described his experience as “a great opportunity to meet people and get to know them as well as yourself.”  While Luken did not know Fowler personally, he knew of his character and the positive qualities he stood for.

Fowler’s ministry continues.  Cautilli said, “We will continue creating opportunities for people to cross boundaries and meet the expressed needs in our own community and around the world. Hand in Hand was his life’s work, but (Wayne) never wanted it to define him.  He loved his family, friends — and rock and roll.”

Link to donate to Hand in Hand:

http://myhandinhand.org/ways-to-support/donate-now/