King Old School Reigns by Controlling the Court

Mr. Bret Saxton soars to the rim during last years 39-29 Old School faculty/staff team victory over the students.

photo by Simon Fewell '20

Mr. Bret Saxton soars to the rim during last year’s 39-29 Old School faculty/staff team victory over the students.

Beck Fieldhouse, Staff Reporter

No other event in the history of Trinity has given students the opportunity to trash-talk their teachers or the other way around.

Students in the stands cheer on friends and go a little crazy during school hours in front of their teachers.

For the past 13 years, a battle for hoops superiority has existed between the Old School basketball team and the students’ intramural squads.

A riveting championship game between staff and students happens once a year, and it is an experience like no other, for both spectators and players.

Old School veteran Mr. Jason Daniel said, “I just had an idea one day — ‘Why don’t we just get a team together, and then we can play in the intramurals?’ and they thought it was a great idea. So, we just started doing it, and it stuck.”

To cap each year, the students of the House basketball teams and students selected from a lottery go head to head against the Old School team. 

While Kusch may be hooping to a ’90s rap song, Daniel jamming to “Sad but True” by Metallica, or even Saxton reminiscing about his college days listening to “Welcome to the Jungle” by Guns N’ Roses, this is an important year for students to beat the faculty in the annual game.

The team has seen some changes over the years, but the team’s heart and soul still thrive. The original team consisted of some familiar faces, among them Daniel, Dr. Dan Zoller, Dr. Aaron Striegel, Mr. Barry Swearingen, Mr. Jeff Becker and Mr. Gary Owens.

Last year’s Old School players included Mr. Tyler Robertson, Mr. Ben Sobczyk, Mr. Curtis Williams, Mr. Ryan McCauley, Mr. Bret Saxton, Mr. Devian Logan, Mr. Jason Daniel, Mr. Josh Kusch, Mr. Trevor Timmerberg, Mr. Brian Bowles, Mr. Seth Blakeslee and Mr. Gary Williams.

Of some of this year’s players, Daniel said, “If we play this year, I mean I would play, Coach Swearingen plays, (Mr.) Kusch plays, Coach Robertson, (Mr. Jimmy) Backes, Mr. (Chad) Baldwin, counselor (Mr. Devian) Logan,” and a few others.

Kusch said, “It will be probably the same as last year with a few additions.”

But what about this year with the COVID restrictions? With the exciting line-up for this year’s team, it begs the question, will Old School basketball happen this year?

Kusch said, “I have no say and no idea what is going to happen. I suspect, since basketball is playing with no fans, there could be a similar arrangement, so I don’t see why we couldn’t make it work.”

The Old School team has a good chance of playing in the intramural league, but in terms of the faculty-student game, it is a jump ball for whether it will happen or not.

“So much depends on the numbers, how those look, and what’s going on. I hope we get a chance to play,” Saxton said.

Whether the game happens this year or not, Old School basketball plans on staying around.

Kusch said, “In the future, I see it going on. I think the students like it and the faculty like it. As long as we keep getting new blood, we’ll keep playing.”

Old School basketball offers unique student-teacher interaction outside of the classroom.

Saxton said, “I’ve just had a blast with it. It is a great way for me to stay in shape and be engaged with the student body. It is fun to see faculty outside of their element, and students really enjoy getting to trash-talk their teachers.”

Saxton and Bowles said it was important to mention that the faculty are on a four-year winning streak, and when asked if they are going to win this year, Kusch, Daniel and Saxton said a definite “Yes.”

Students need to step up so that the faculty can step down from their throne!