Categories:

Opening Mass Kicks off 2024-2025 School Year

Trinity High School’s opening mass took place in Steinhauser Gym on August 23, 2024. As students have now settled into their classes, opening mass symbolizes the “end of the beginning”. After a call to worship by director of campus ministry Mary Emrich, Fr. Dave Zettel opened the mass. During his homily, he encouraged the seniors to lead and pave the path for the freshmen.

Every year, the senior class officers are handed the task of picking the theme for the school year, and it is traditionally unveiled and explained during opening mass. Class of 2025 class president, Noah McQuillen, addressed his peers and revealed the theme for the 24-25 school year: “Built By Brotherhood”. In McQuillen’s speech encouraged to live up to the phrase, remembering an element that makes our school so great. McQuillen also incorporated the phrase “Carpe Diem” that many remember from “Dead Poets Society” to inspire his fellow classmates to seize the day and really live in the moment.

Later in the mass, Dr. Zoeller took the stage to address the Trinity community. He began by thanking all the people who work hard every day to create a smooth start to the school year. He then proceeded to challenge the students to be welcoming to each other. Dr. Zoeller also highlighted the lessons he learned from summer reading, and celebrated the fact that Trinity has students from many diverse backgrounds.  One challenge he has for us students is to include everyone to continue to create one strong Trinity family.

After the students and faculty came together for communion, the Trinity Alma Mater was sung by the Trinity community, and the mass concluded. The seniors filed out first and headed for the “The Trinity” a statue that stands outside the front of Trinity. This is a tradition for the seniors: give a high to one of the kids on the statue as they pass. The statue has kids of many different ethnicities, which represents the diversity that lies within the halls of Trinity.

The Trinity community now aims their sights to a welcoming school year where they will continue the traditions that are built by brotherhood.

Photography of opening mass by Kingston Florence and Colton Cravens.