Categories:

Remembering Dennis Lampley

Credit: Pearson Funeral Home
Credit: Pearson Funeral Home

The Trinity community recently lost a local hero, Dennis Lampley. Lampley’s legacy will be echoed around the halls of Trinity. Most people know about his legendary football coaching career, 50-game win streak and five state championships. He was inducted into the KHSAA Hall of Fame in 2003 and the Kentucky Sports Hall of Fame in 2017. Fellow Trinity teacher Mike Domzalski said, “He just loved Trinity. He was passionate about Trinity, loved the kids, gave his heart and soul to this school.” Lampley worked at Trinity for 47 years as a teacher, coach, and athletic director. He shaped many students into the men they are today.

While Coach Lampley was best known for his success in football, it was his role as a mentor and friend that left a mark on so many lives. Lampley had a way of making everyone feel seen and valued, from nervous freshmen to experienced athletes. According to Domzalski, Lampley was “more than just this big football coach persona, just the good, genuine person that he was, down-to-earth, funny and kind and gentle, and didn’t matter who you were, he always had time for you.” His care for the Trinity family went beyond the field, building confidence and character in every student he met.

Beyond his role as a coach, Lampley formed close relationships with his coworkers and community. Domzalski recalled, “He was so great with my son. My son kind of grew up around Trinity, and Coach Lampley was so great about him.” Lampley even went to see Domzalski’s son play in a baseball game, showing his support no matter the situation. No occasion was too big or too small for him to support. People that knew him realize that he wasn’t just a coach but a friend and role model, embodying the values of Trinity in his everyday actions.

The legacy of Coach Lampley is immeasurable. He leaves behind not only a record of athletic achievements but also countless stories of kindness, support, and inspiration. “The number of lives he touched, coaching and teaching and being around your son, you can’t measure the impact of somebody like that,” Domzalski said. Lampley’s memory will continue to influence the Trinity community, reminding everyone of the power of passion, humility, and genuine care for others. Though Coach Lampley may no longer walk the halls of Trinity, his spirit will forever guide each student, reminding us all that true greatness is found not just in victories, but in the lives we touch.