Categories:

Meet the New Teachers: Mrs. Vivona

Meet the New Teachers: Mrs. Vivona

Jessica Vivona is one of the new faces students are seeing in the halls this school year. Born and raised in Louisville, Kentucky, Vivona has had a great time so far in her first months here. The Assumption High School and UofL graduate teaches theology to five junior classes and one sophomore class.

Originally, Vivona wasn’t drawn to teaching, but was interested in counseling. She interviewed at Mercy Academy for a counseling position and it was filled, but then they asked her if she wanted to teach theology and she was in. Coming from a ministry background and having a degree in theology and social work it was a no brainer. When she started teaching she came to find out that the best place to be in school is in the classroom, so when the counseling position opened again, the classroom was for her.

For 16 years, Vivona taught at Mercy and only Mercy. “My family is a Trinity legacy family,” Vivona said as the reason she was drawn to Trinity. “Husband, his dad, my uncles, and that kind of thing. It’s always been part of us.” Vivona actually has two sons, one in seventh grade and one in second grade, who are looking to go to Trinity so she thought it was the right move.

“The guys have been great,” Vivona said when describing her first bit of time at Trinity. She says that coming from teaching all girls to all boys is different, but the differences aren’t bad differences. “The vastness of how big the school is, it’s a big school,” she said when describing what she’s noticed so far.

She’s learned many things about teaching, mainly talking about how there isn’t an answer for everything. “I’m pulled to get and search for that answer.” The classroom gets her thinking. Vivona discussed that students sharing and talking teaches her, and also gets her thinking about life. “I’d love to go back to high school again,” Vivona said. She would like to deal with the unique challenges there are that there wasn’t in the 90s.

Besides theology, Vivona wants to work with campus ministry and retreats. She spent five years as a retreat director at Mercy as well, stating, “It’s my comfort zone.” She also wants to be involved with cross country because she says that what she does in her time: run. The Trinity community is excited to have a positive presence in the 2nd floor Floresh Hall doing what she loves everyday. Welcome to Trinity, Mrs. Vivona!