Top-Ranked Shamrocks Handling the Pressure

Senior D’Angelo West is one of the leaders of the top-ranked Shamrocks.

Evan Thompson, Staff Reporter

“With the senior leadership of this team, there is no doubt that we could contend for a state title,” junior Christian Terry said of his team, the top-ranked Shamrocks (17-4).

Led by 14-year head coach Mike Szabo, the Rocks look to bring a state title back to Trinity. Coming off a 56-46 win over Madison Central Jan. 30, how has the team handled so many high expectations this season?

“Being the pre-ranked No. 1 team in Kentucky can definitely put a target on your back heading into the season,” Trinity Athletics Director Rob Saxton said.

Szabo said the team has the ability to meet the expectations: “This team is significant because we have great size, length and agility.” Szabo, who coached at high schools in Tennessee and Texas and was an assistant coach at Northwestern University before coming to THS, said the greatest attribute of this team is how well they get along. 

The sky is the limit for this team. I have learned a lot from this senior class. They have showed toughness, great intensity and outstanding leadership.

— junior Christian Terry

Senior guard Daniel Ramser agreed. “What makes our team special is our team chemistry,” he said. “I notice our connection when someone makes a bad play.  We always try to pick them up and help them move on to the next play.”

Leadership from the seniors is a big reason for the team’s success this season — and what will make a championship possible.  Ramser said, “All seniors have to take on the responsibility of being a leader and make sure everybody is doing their jobs.”

With no captain on the team, “every senior shows great leadership on and off the court,” Terry said. “The sky is the limit for this team. I have learned a lot from this senior class.  They have showed toughness, great intensity and outstanding leadership. The seniors get us going when we need it.  They provide energy and lead not only verbally but by example.”

With the hype surrounding the seniors, some people might overlook the underclassman. Szabo said, “The junior and sophomore group is filled with talent.  They will fight during games.  Sometimes in practice the second team will beat the starters in a scrimmage.”

Ramser had some realistic words when asked about the pressure of this season. He said, “We just have to take it one day at a time and focus on what we can do each day to make ourselves better. The thrill to win a championship and to be able to do it with these guys is my motivation to win it all this year.”