Rojas-Ortega Named National Speech and Debate Association Academic All-American

ECHO Staff

Trinity junior Jorge Rojas-Ortega
Trinity junior Jorge Rojas-Ortega

Trinity junior Jorge Rojas-Ortega has been named an Academic All-American with the National Speech and Debate Association (formerly the National Forensic League). Trinity speech and debate coach Amy Zuccaro announced Rojas-Ortega’s honor on Tuesday.

To qualify for NSDA Academic All-American status a student must have accomplished the following: earned the degree of Superior Distinction (750 points), earned a GPA of 3.7 on a 4.0 scale (or its equivalent), received an ACT score of 27 or higher, or SAT combined score of 2,000 or higher, completed at least five semesters of high school, and demonstrated outstanding character and leadership.

Of Rojas-Ortega, Zuccaro wrote in a recommendation letter: “Undoubtedly, Jorge is the most naturally talented student I have ever had the pleasure to work with in my 10 years of coaching… The consummate team player, Jorge is always willing to do whatever he can for the betterment of all involved with our activity…. He will often read through the cases of the Public Forum and Novice Lincoln-Douglas debaters trying to find flaws or areas of weakness.  In doing so, he will offer critiques and suggestions for stronger arguments.  He coaches new students in Extemporaneous Speaking as well as Impromptu Speaking.   With our Extemp program, he has created a file-sharing system that benefits all team members.   Jorge is completely pro-active, often taking on responsibilities without being asked.   This is one of the many reasons why he was named a team co-captain before his senior year. His selflessness is admirable and shows a maturity far past his years.”