The ACT — Far Too Much Emphasis on One Test

Ryan Cywinski, Staff Reporter

One measly test can be the deciding factor on whether you get into the college of your dreams or not. That’s it. One test! There is far too much emphasis on ACT scores when applying to college. The ACT is not a good measure of how smart or hard-working a student is.

The ACT really just measures how well a student can perform under an extreme amount of pressure and very little time. Instead of putting a huge emphasis on one test score, colleges should put the biggest emphasis on academic rigor, quality of grades, and extracurricular activities. The ACT can still be involved in the application process, but it should take a back seat to those other factors.

The ACT is more of a test of strategy than anything else. After attending multiple ACT prep classes, it’s clear that the test requires a great deal of process of elimination and understanding the types of questions being asked.

Trinity junior Ryan Cywinski
Trinity junior Ryan Cywinski

In particular, the science and reading tests require little previous schooling knowledge to do well. These two tests, in particular, are about assessing and understanding readings and graphs in a small window of time.

On the other hand, the math and English tests do require some knowledge from past schooling in order to succeed. How can a test be so huge in the college application process when half the questions do not require previous schooling.   

Put more weight on high school GPA, class rigor, and extracurricular activities. These three components better demonstrate a smart, well-rounded student than one test score.

Shouldn’t a college admissions test assess what knowledge one has gained from three years in high school?

Another problem with the ACT is time constraints. The short amount of time provided does not allow students to perform to the best of their ability, especially on the reading test.

Thirty-five minutes to read four passages and answer 10 questions per passage is alarming. An extra five minutes would help immensely in any one of the tests.

In addition, time limits add another level of anxiety prior to taking the ACT. One of the most common worries regarding the ACT is finishing within the allotted time period.

The biggest issue of all, however, is the amount of weight the ACT carries in the college application process. One test score is not a good indicator of a student’s qualifications to be admitted into a particular university.

A solution? Put more weight on high school GPA, class rigor, and extracurricular activities. These three components better demonstrate a smart, well-rounded student than one test score.

A college admissions officer can see if a student challenges him or herself, succeeds in the classroom, and is involved in the community to which he or she belongs with these three criteria.

There are too many factors that can limit a student’s ACT score for it to be taken as seriously as it is currently taken in today’s college admissions process.