6s Camera Upgrade No Reason to Drop iPhone 6

Jacob Travelstead, Staff Reporter

"What I like most about the new iPhone is the fingerprint scanner. It is really fast, and I often find myself unlocking my phone when I just want to check the time," said Trevor Warren, a Trinity sophomore.
                                                                                                  photo by Axel Halvarson
“What I like most about the new iPhone is the fingerprint scanner. It is really fast, and I often find myself unlocking my phone when I just want to check the time,” said Trevor Warren, a Trinity sophomore.

“The only thing that’s changed is everything,” boasts Apple’s newest slogan following the release of the company’s latest models, the iPhone 6s and 6s Plus. At first glance, the newest additions to Apple’s widely popular iPhone series don’t appear any different than their predecessors. External looks, however, are about where the similarities end. Under the hood, almost nothing is the same.

When Apple says that they’ve changed everything, they really mean it. Perhaps the most notable change, along with my personal favorite, has been the phone’s new camera and video capabilities. The iPhone 6s and 6s Plus now contain 12-megapixel cameras for taking clean, sharp pictures. If you’re more of a fan of selfies, you’re also in luck. The new models also come equipped with five-megapixel, front-facing cameras for taking professional-looking self-portraits.   

The price jump is just a little too high, and you’re essentially only paying for an upgraded camera; however, if you have an earlier model of an iPhone and you get the opportunity, upgrading to the 6s or 6s Plus makes sense.

Along with a great camera, the phones now have the ability to capture video in 4K resolution. This addition has both film makers and amateurs alike raving. The videos produced are comparable to even some professional-grade DSLRs. Similar to video, a new feature called “Live Photos” offers a different perspective on viewing memories.

In Live Photo mode, the camera takes note of the moments before and after a picture is taken. With a press of your finger, you can then view the “moving” image as if it were happening in front of you again. This feature really does make taking pictures fun.

One of Apple’s most needed areas of improvement has been its Touch ID Fingerprint Scanner. In the latest models, the Touch ID scanners are now faster than ever. The scanner is almost so sensitive that a single tap will unlock it, making accessing the phone quicker and easier. Touch ID is also compatible with Apple Pay, a service that allows you to make purchases with a tap of your finger.

“What I like most about the new iPhone is the fingerprint scanner. It is really fast, and I often find myself unlocking my phone when I just want to check the time,” said Trevor Warren, a Trinity sophomore who recently upgraded to the iPhone 6s.

As far as design goes, the 6 and 6s may look the same, but the newer models are equipped with an enhanced build. Both the 6s and the 6s Plus are made from 7000 Series Aluminum, the same material that is used in the aerospace industry.  The front glass screen was also upgraded and now Apple claims it is “..the strongest, most durable glass used in any smartphone.” I wouldn’t want to test this statement, so I’ll just have to trust Apple’s word.

“I actually really like the design of it. I think it’s really slim and just feels good in your hand,” sophomore Alex Cyterski said.

So is it worth upgrading? Short answer: probably not. If you already have the iPhone 6, wait until the next phone is released. Although Apple has implemented a ton of new upgrades and technology into the 6s, it really doesn’t seem to have made a noticeable difference in the overall quality of the phone.

The price jump is just a little too high, and you’re essentially only paying for an upgraded camera; however, if you have an earlier model of an iPhone and you get the opportunity, upgrading to the 6s or 6s Plus makes sense.