Despite Retirement, for Mrs. Singer, ‘We Still Are a Family’

For+Mrs.+Pat+Singer%2C+caring+about+the+school+community+--+and+careful+cleaning+--+were+always+priorities.+

photo by Jacob Ferree

For Mrs. Pat Singer, caring about the school community — and careful cleaning — were always priorities.

Jacob Ferree, Staff Reporter

After 17 years, Mrs. Singer, better known as “Pat,” retired from Trinity High School’s maintenance team this week. A job Singer felt at first was “not for her,” became her passion.

In 1999 the former facilities manager and Singer’s brother, Mr. Joe Demling, told her to stick around until Christmas; then if she wanted, she could put in her two weeks. But after that Christmas break, Singer was hooked on Trinity. 

She has a spark and a certain light about her.  She comes in my office every day and she asks me how I’m doing, then tells me about a certain student she has a concern about.  She’s more than just a custodian here; she’s someone that cares about the entire student community as well as the staff that works here

— Trinity counselor/teacher Dr. Aaron Striegel

Singer first started working at the Marshall Center on Oct. 91999. Over the years, she has had a profound impact on the maintenance team.

Current facilities manager Mr. Bill Hogg said, “She has the ability to be more detail oriented. It’s the little things she does well that some of the guys don’t pick up on.  She has been very helpful in those areas such as cleaning trophy cases and things of that nature, where some of my guys are like bulls in a china shop.”

Singer’s caring nature has had a positive effect beyond the maintenance team.  Counselor Dr. Aaron Striegel commented on how Singer’s impact went beyond cleaning. “She has a spark and a certain light about her.  She comes in my office every day and she asks me how I’m doing, then tells me about a certain student she has a concern about.  She’s more than just a custodian here; she’s someone that cares about the entire student community as well as the staff that works here.”

Trinity’s campus has changed immensely during the past 17 years. Among the many changes and additions, Singer saw Duerr Hall added, Floersh Hall extended, Sheehan Hall renovated, A/C throughout the campus, the first renovation of the library and so much more.  She remembers, “We worked in 105-degree heat when (the maintenance team) renovated the library. That was not fun!  There were lots of blood, sweat and tears, literally!”

After 17 years, Singer said there are many aspects of the school she will miss but most of all the students and coworkers. Asked what she will miss most, Singer said, “The students, easy. Watching them come in as young boys and seeing them leave as men, that still gets me.  It really is amazing. And also working with the work-study kids.  The students are the best thing here.  We (the faculty and staff at Trinity High School) really are just one big family. By that I mean we’re all really close with one another.  When I came here, Trinity was one big family, and leaving Trinity, we still are a family.  It’s been a good ride.”

Mrs. Pat Singer with the Maintenance/Facilities Team.
photo by Tommy McConville