Invaluable Lessons Learned by Teaching Overseas

Matt Gadd, Staff Reporter

photo by Nick Craven
Mr. Randy Stumler

If you were given an opportunity to do what you love halfway across the world while getting paid, would you take it? You would be leaving your friends and your family — and going to another country without knowing a person.

When Trinity chemistry teacher Mr. Randy Stumler was given this opportunity, he took a chance and said yes. He left the United States to teach kids whose parents served at military bases in the Azores.  

Mr. Stumler’s experience makes him a well-rounded teacher. He understands how different schools function and what makes them successful.

— Mr. Patrick Heintz, Trinity Science Department co-chair

Stumler worked for the Department of Defense Education Activity and the Department of Defense Dependent Schools. He first worked in the Azores, a group of islands in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean that belong to Portugal. He lived in the city of Port Martins in a two-story house with a beautiful ocean view.

Stumler taught overseas for eight years, served at two different bases, and learned endless lessons.

This experience forged Stumler into an even better teacher, according to Trinity teacher Mr. Patrick Heintz, co-chair of the Science Department with Stumler. He said, “Mr. Stumler’s experience makes him a well-rounded teacher. He understands how different schools function and what makes them successful.”

photo by Matt Gadd

Stumler met students from diverse backgrounds, and this added to his ability to understand students.

One of Stumler’s students, sophomore Brett Pfaadt, said, “He’s always on his feet while he is teaching. He is interested in passing his knowledge to us and really cares.”

While overseas, Stumler lived next door to a café where he would eat every day. Since he lived on an island in the middle of the ocean, he ate mostly fish. His favorite food was bacalhau, salted cod covered with sautéed onions and served with fried potatoes.

Stumler also enjoyed watching “bullfights on a rope.” This odd-sounding event took place almost every day in the streets. A bull was given a collar with a rope around his neck and people would taunt the bull.

He said, “It is one of the coolest things I have ever witnessed,” a much more humane way of bullfighting because the animals are not tortured and killed like the ones in Spain.

photo by Matt Gadd

Stumler said the schools where he taught were very similar to every other high school — except students would rarely stay all four years. Students would come and go based on where their parents were stationed. Stumler’s goal was to give his students some stability.

Stumler learned during his time away from the United States that “everyone is the same all over the world. Someone will always help you.”

Stumler’s landlord helped his adjustment to life in another part of the world. His landlord invited him on holidays and most importantly gave him a friend 4,000 miles away from home.

Stumler’s experience provided many valuable lessons that will resonate with him forever. He said, “Being overseas really makes you appreciate being a United States citizen.”