More Than a Quarter In, Reactions from New Teachers and Those in New Roles

Sam Hebestreit, Dominic Sutkamp, Max Urton, Staff Reporters

As November begins, let’s look at some reflections from new Trinity teachers and teachers in new roles:

Mr. Jeremy Jackson
The former college counselor, now a new Dean of Studies for Honors and Advanced Students, Jackson said he “has a lot to learn, but wants to be open to

Mr. Jeremy Jackson

students and their needs, to help teachers and staff.” He pointed out that “all juniors will take the actual ACT during school this year.” He said he loved his previous job but wants to make an impact and help students on a lager scale.  Jackson said watching the ”great teachers” at Trinity will help him become better.

Mr. Adam Klein
Trinity’s new House System and Activities Director said he is working to help students find

Mr. Adam Klein

“more opportunities to get involved in the House System.” Klein said he wants students to have their moments “to shine” in whatever talents or skills they may have.   He wants to help kids grow, become more involved and look back on Trinity for the great times and for their involvement.

Mrs. Betsy Darby
The new Trinity Television broadcast teacher, Darby wanted this role because she has experience producing at WDRB and WAVE 3 news stations.

Mrs. Betsy Darby

Darby wants her students to “create what you see on TV,” providing “real-world experience.” Darby said she “loves the idea of doing new things each day and being able to show students and teachers things that are happening at Trinity that many may not know about.” Darby said she would love to see Broadcast Journalism I and II classes so that it will make the process easier. One class would be for learning how to write (the show), and the second class would actually put the production into action.

Mr. Randy Perkins

Mr. Randy Perkins
Perkins new job is to work with students as co-Director of Student Affairs with Mr. Joe Henning to “create the school environment that is most suitable for learning.” That means enforcing the code of conduct the school has adopted. Perkins works to help ensure safety during school hours and at extracurricular activities. One of Perkin’s goals is to “change the perception that we are people no one wants to see.” He said he is here to help students “grow in character, teaching them about expectations and accountability.” Perkins said he believes 100 percent in Trinity’s mission and in how the school approaches students and their families. He loves teaching and prays he will be able to “grow in empathy and understanding of all the different things that the gentlemen of this school deal with, both in and out of school.”

Mr. Matt Manning  
After years of overseeing the school’s House System and Activities, Manning now works as a college counselor. His favorite thing about his new position is getting to know the students in a different way. He gets to help with academics and planning for college. He says it is “a different way to interact with students.”

Mr. Matt Manning

Manning has spent a great deal of time learning his new position. He said he regrets only that he doesn’t “get to work with the faculty as much.” Manning helps students find the best plan to pursue after graduation. He enjoys meeting people outside Trinity, such as college reps from around the country. Manning said he wishes he had “an encyclopedic knowledge of schools.”

Sr. Kathy Cash, Ph.D.

Sr. Kathy Cash, Ph.D.

Trinity’s Dean of Faculty Development works daily to help faculty with curriculum and methodology. In 2016, she received her Ph.D. in Curriculum and Instruction with a focus in Mathematics Education from the University of Louisville.

Mr. Paul Diehl   

Mr. Paul Diehl

For 20 years Mr. Frank Ward served as Advanced Program director.  Mathematics teacher Mr. Paul Diehl assumed that role this year.  Diehl, who has taught at Trinity since ’98, works in conjunction with AP teachers and counselor Dr. Aaron Striegel, to coordinate work for advanced students from all four classes.

Mr. Brian Bowles graduated from Trinity in 2006 and spent the past five years teaching at Waggener High School. In his first year teaching at Trinity, Bowles teaches freshman, junior and senior math classes.  He said, “I came here because my dad

Mr. Brian Bowles

was a teacher here, I went to school here, and I’ve always wanted to come back (to Trinity) and teach.”  Bowles described his experience this year as “absolutely amazing. This is the best school in the city.”

In his first year at Trinity, Mr. Mike Farnon, a 1969 alum, is teaching the Live Television Production class and the Video Production class. Farnon said, “For the last 35 years I’ve been producing and directing television up in Chicago. Then I retired and came here and realized I’m not done.”

Mr. Mike Farnon

Ms. Kate Reedy grew up doing Trinity Theatre when she was in high school at YPAS. After many years of supporting the department, she is the director and producer of the Trinity Department of Theatre Arts and also teaches communication skills. “I come from a long line of teachers;

Ms. Kate Reedy

both of my parents were teachers, my grandma was a teacher.” Why teach at Trinity? Reedy said, “Trinity’s awesome. It’s a home; I’ve loved it since I was a freshman in high school. I feel like I never left, and being a bigger part of it is very rewarding. I love being able to give back what I learned here to the current students.”

First-year Trinity teacher Mr. Seth Blakeslee is passionate about his family, his students and the enrichment of Catholic education.  Blakeslee teaches anatomy, physiology and physics, and is a coach for the cross country team. He said, “There’s a lot of opportunities here at Trinity. I really like the identity of the school — a very strong identity with tons of tradition.”

Mr. Seth Blakeslee

After seven years at Mercy High, Mr. Blake Napper teaches AP social studies, US History, and US Politics, and is moderating the first year of the Social Studies Honor Society. As to how the year is going, he said, “So far, so good. The students are doing well.”

Mr. Blake Napper

Mrs. Allie Stich 
Stich worked at Western Kentucky University in the admissions office before coming to Trinity to provide college counseling.  She said her favorite thing about Trinity is getting to know the students.

Mrs. Allie Stich

At her former job, she did not get to interact with students. She earned her undergraduate degree from WKU and her master’s from U of L. Stich encourages all seniors to take the ACT before Thanksgiving and take as many college visits as possible to find the right school.  Her favorite hobbies outside of school include judging gymnastics competitions and spending time with her dogs.

Mrs. Jonni Miller  
Before coming to Trinity, Miller worked at Assumption, Mercy, and JCTCS. Her favorite thing about Trinity is that “students and faculty are very friendly. It’s a good community.”  One of Miller’s main goals is to increase student interest in science.

Mrs. Jonni Miller

Her favorite hobby outside of school is anything outdoors.

Ms. Judith Reader
Before Reader started teaching at Trinity, she worked at Kammerer Middle School. She also worked at the University of Louisville. She describes Trinity as “a great teaching environment. The staff and students have been very helpful getting me started.”

Ms. Judith Reader

Reader has a B.S. in zoology, a master’s in environmental biology, an MAT to teach science, and is working on her Ph.D. While at Trinity, she wants to make science accessible to every student. She wants “ students to find real-world use for physics.”  Her favorite hobbies outside of school are going to the movies, reading and enjoying being with family.