Rocks Counter Hurricane Devastation with Generosity

The+Trinity+community+donated+supplies+to+help+the+people+of+Puerto+Rico%2C+devastated+by+Hurricane+Maria.+

photo by Cole Crush

The Trinity community donated supplies to help the people of Puerto Rico, devastated by Hurricane Maria.

Sam Hebestreit, Staff Reporter

A forgotten place only recognized after destruction.

Many may forget that Puerto Rico is part of America, a part devastated by Hurricane Maria. The storm destroyed homes, thousands of trees and beaches, but not the hearts of the people who call this place home.  

They are amazingly resilient.

— Mr. Chad Waggoner of the Puerto Rican people following Hurricane Maria

Two Trinity teachers decided to go above the expected to help out.

Mr. Chad Waggoner and Ms. Maria Martín visited the island during fall break to deliver supplies donated by the Trinity community.

Waggoner, who saw the destruction in Puerto Rico and knew he had to help, said, “I had faith in the Trinity community that they could step up to the challenge.”

Waggoner said he was impacted by the Holy Spirit, whom he said, “spoke to me.”

Of the Puerto Rican people, Waggoner said, “They are amazingly resilient.”

Waggoner met a lady named Rita, who had lost everything. She said a prayer, and Waggoner couldn’t understand why she was so grateful when there was nothing left. Rita said she knew God was listening. She said, “I have peace in my heart, and I asked God for help and he sent you.”

Martín, who has family in Puerto Rico, went on the trip to help out her family and others. Martín said most San Juan people and buildings were fine for the most part, but it was the people in the mountains who needed help the most because everything they had was completely gone.

Martín said she wanted to make sure the 16 bags of supplies Trinity sent over went directly to the people. One of Martín’s cousins in Puerto Rico gave up her living room for supplies and started a website to collect money. She has a team of about 30 people to help her.

Martín said she knows it will be years before things are back to normal, but the people are grateful for the help they’ve received.  Martín saw many who “had nothing but had so much faith. We complain about things that they would love to have.”

Trinity senior Ben Skaggs encouraged other students to donate goods such as toilet paper, batteries and flashlights.  He said it’s “unique that teachers who don’t know these people are willing to give up their fall break to go and help. It inspires me to help out.”