Dress Code Gets a Thumbs Up from These Three Students

Dominic Sutkamp, Staff Reporter

Students at Trinity are expected to wear a button-down shirt with a tie, dress pants and shoes, and a belt every day. Students are expected to keep their shirts tucked in at all times. The dress code helps make students look nice and professional. But what do students think about the code?

Three students said the dress code has a huge impact on the learning environment, behavior and the interaction between students. 

A strict dress code makes it harder to hide things like weapons or drugs.

— Trinity sophomore Ryan Sheehy

Sophomore Preston Romanov said the dress code makes guys look presentable, helps students get better grades and behave better. He thinks all schools should be required to have a dress code.  “It seems right for any school,” Romanov said.

Romanov said dress codes prepare students for life. He said, “When students become adults, no matter where they work, they will have to wear a uniform.”

Fellow sophomore Ryan Sheehy said the dress code helps make the school look neater and safer. He said, “A strict dress code makes it harder to hide things like weapons or drugs.”

Sheehy said all schools should be required to have a dress code because it makes it a bit easier for kids. When they are getting dressed, they don’t have to choose what they want to wear.

“It makes it easier with getting dressed,” Sheehy said. “You know what you’re going to wear is the same as everyone else.”

One difference Sheehy sees between schools that have a dress code and schools that don’t is that schools that have uniforms probably have a bit less bullying.

To freshman Zach Berman, a dress code makes students look more professional. He supports dress codes for schools, but they don’t have to use the same code.  He agrees with Sheehy that a dress code makes getting ready for school easier.

Berman said, ”When you have a dress code, you feel calmer because you know what everyone is going to wear. If you don’t have a dress code, you don’t know what you should wear.”