It’s No Trivial Matter as Quick-Recall Rocks Continue Success

photo by Cole Crush

Cole Crush, Editor in Chief

photo by Cole Crush
Trinity’s quick-recall team puts in some practice time.

Anxious players wait. Academic team moderator Mr. Mark Amick says, “Toss up question.  — This case in 1896 was a landmark decision of the Supreme Court. It upheld the constitutionality of racial segregation laws for public facilities…” Senior Luke McFarland buzzes in: “Plessy v. Ferguson.” Without hesitation Amick says, “Correct.”

That’s normal for Trinity’s play in quick recall, a traditional academic competition in Kentucky consisting of two halves of toss-up and bonus questions. Competitors generally use a buzzer, similar to “Jeopardy,” to answer questions read by moderators. The team that scores the most points wins the match.

For the past 10 years, Amick has been the Trinity varsity academic team and quick-recall coach. Amick has been involved in quick recall since he was little and also played when he was a student at Trinity.

“My dad is the coach at Kentucky Country Day, and I grew up watching ‘Jeopardy’ with my dad, so he inspired me,” Amick said.

While Amick has been coach at Trinity, the team has had much success. The Rocks compete in the non-public school league (private and Catholic schools).

“The students have built Trinity to be a power in this league,” Amick said. The Rocks won the quick-recall Seventh Region title two years ago and qualified for the National Academic Quiz Tournaments.

Amick has enjoyed coaching talented students every year at Trinity. “It’s awesome,” he said. “I’m blessed to have guys every year enthused to answer trivia questions after school.”

One of the leaders on this year’s team is McFarland, who has been involved with quick recall since the fourth grade at St. Albert Grade School.

Even before attending Trinity, McFarland knew Amick. “I knew Mr. Amick from quick-recall summer camps (held at Trinity) in seventh and eighth grade,” McFarland said.

For McFarland, quick recall is more than competition — it’s a learning experience. He also enjoys the thrill of knowing answers and buzzing in first. “It’s fun buzzing in,” he said, “and also getting an adrenaline rush winning.”

Trinity has multiple teams to help students develop their knowledge and skill.  The freshmen are coached by first-year Trinity teacher Ms. Judith Reader, and Mr. Jason Rand coaches the junior varsity team.

Rand started coaching quick recall in 2010 and continued coaching at Trinity when he arrived in 2014. Rand hopes to coach quick recall as long as he’s teaching at Trinity. He said, “My favorite part about quick recall is the kids. They are motivated and smart.”

Interviews with Mr. Mark Amick and senior Luke McFarland ………… videos by Cole Crush