Pinning Down Top-Notch Cuisine

El Taco Luchador Serves Delicious Mexican Dishes

Gus Boyer, Staff Reporter

A colorfully dressed, bulky man climbs under the bright red ropes into the ring. A mask covering most of his face, the man’s identity is hidden by a tightly stretched piece of cloth. Ready for an exciting brawl, the man stretches his arms and stares directly into his opponent’s eyes. He unties his cape from his neck as the announcer proclaims: “Welcome, compadres, to the greatest fight of the night, with everyone’s favorite wrestler, El Taco Luchador!”

Wait, what? The Taco Wrestler?

In Louisville, El Taco Luchador does not refer to a food-themed wrestler. Instead,  El Taco Luchador is a popular restaurant known for its Mexican cuisine. This taqueria has been the talk of the street for a while. But why?

Located at 112 Meridian Avenue in St. Matthews, this restaurant has a variety of foods, from the classic favorite chips and guacamole ($5.99) to the more exotic chicharron Tacos ($3.25), which consist of tomatillo braised pork rinds, onion, sour cream, and cilantro.

A frequent customer, Joan Schumer, said, “I liked the vegetarian tacos, but the fish tacos were also very good.”

The fish tacos are also a favorite of co-owner Tim. On the menu, these are called the Baja fish tacos (3.99), and they definitely live up to their reputation.  

Whether you recently performed a flawless double leg flapjack or were on the receiving end of a brutal three-quarter face-lock, El Taco Luchador is the place for you.

The expertly fried and crispy tempura cod mixes perfectly with the tanginess of the pickled cabbage. Meat lovers may be attracted to the asada taco ($3.99).

This includes mouthwatering strips of grilled sirloin steak, grilled onions, peppers, sour cream, queso fresco and cilantro, which all work together flawlessly. One small but important detail is included with the tacos: each is embraced by not one but two corn tortillas, which add enough durability for even the strongest of fillings.

For a finishing move, desert is also offered here, mentioned as the Spanish word “postres.”The highlighted item here would be the churros ($3.75), which are sugary, deep-fried sticks of goodness complete with a delicious dulce de leche (caramel) sauce.

Trinity freshman Connor Romines sums up the food with a few words: “It’s got a diverse menu — and really good churros.”

Much like the costumes of Mexican luchadores, bright colors illuminate the St. Matthews location. Hot pinks and greens adorn the walls of the inside seating area, and there is even a giant red mural of a luchador’s mask on the outside of the building. This piece of artwork really sets the vibe for the restaurant, pushing the wrestling theme.

Actual masks and cartoonish paintings are found on the walls in the taqueria. While some may think that the neon coloring is unnatural, the country of Mexico is filled with vivid hues, especially in the capital.

There are plenty of taco places in the area, including Mexa Tacos and The Ville, but what sets this restaurant apart from other Mexican restaurants? Perhaps it has something to do with the service.

Tim said, “There are a lot of nice people, which is very hard to find in the restaurant business.”

Indeed, when visiting the Taco Luchador, customers are greeted with smiling faces and Hispanic accents. Throughout the building, Spanish can be heard at all times, and one might even be able to learn a phrase or two.

Tim said, “They talk very fast, but I pick up a few words here and there.”

The restaurant is equipped with multiple high chairs for younger children. During the winter Taco Luchador is a bit crowded, but come good weather, the outdoor seating is exceptional.

The hours of Taco Luchador are 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. on Mondays through Fridays and on Saturday from noon to 10 p.m.

Fridays and Saturdays can be very busy, so hungry customers who don’t want to wait should try to eat between 5 and 6. This restaurant can serve all three meals of the day.

For breakfast, one might order the desayuno ($10.25), a sandwich containing bacon, chorizo, smoked ham and a fried egg. Lunch might consist of a Mexican crunchy salad ($5.99), which has varied vegetables, most notably avocado, pickled cabbage, and pumpkin seeds.

Any of the tacos or tortas would suffice for dinner, but take note: while the tacos may be delicious, they are also small, so two or more might be necessary to satisfy one’s hunger.

Many factors contribute to the popularity of El Taco Luchador, but perhaps the most prominent aspect is its unique luchador theme, being very fitting, albeit slightly whimsical. Any customer could enjoy the Mexican, Cuban and Caribbean flavors found in the restaurant’s menu.