Hockey Brothers Eager for State Title

photo by Bobby Burt

The ice hockey Rocks take on Evansville in Lexington Mar. 3 at 11 a.m.

Cole Crush, Editor in Chief

These guys are not just hockey players. They are something much more. They are brothers.

“We are like brothers for life times 10. We are always with each other,” senior Ben Skaggs said about his Trinity teammates.

Senior defenseman Zack Cunanan described the relationship with his teammates as a “special bond with one another where we have each other’s backs.”

Coming off a three-game win streak, the ice hockey Rocks prepare to take on Evansville in the state tournament, held in Lexington Saturday, Mar. 3, at 11 a.m.

The Rocks are led by first-year head coach Geoff Norman. Norman, in his third year with Trinity, grew up in Vancouver, Canada, and lived next to an ice rink.   

We are like a wolfpack. We will always have each other’s backs.

— Trinity junior Todd Crenshaw

In his youth, he was constantly on the ice and described hockey as a “religion” in Vancouver. Hockey has always been a huge part of his life, and he played at the collegiate level in British Colombia during the late 1980s.

Norman still shows his love for the game. “I love giving back. I just enjoy seeing the players improve to win state,” he said.

Being a coach might seem an impossible task for some, but with the “cast of characters,” as Norman described his players, they have hopes of closing strong, hoping to top last year’s state runner-up finish.

Skaggs has a strong passion for the game as well. He became interested in playing hockey after attending a Chicago Blackhawks game and meeting a player named Dustin Byfuglien.

This is Skagg’s ninth year playing hockey and his fourth season at Trinity. He hopes that this is the year he can finally capture the state title.

“I would like to win state,” he said. “I never had, so it’d be nice.”

Skaggs has encountered a lot of success as a hockey player, coming in the top three in points for two years in a row and a two-time state runner-up.

Senior Lance Giovenco is the goalie for this year’s team. His teammates praise Giovenco’s work ethic and dedication. Giovenco wants to play at the collegiate level.

His first choice would be to play club hockey at the University of Louisville. Along with these goals, come challenges.

“The mental aspect is challenging, always keeping your head in the game. And for me, I moved from forward to goalie so that was challenging,” Giovenco said.

Cunanan’s path to hockey began with a movie.

“I got involved with hockey after watching the ‘Mighty Ducks’ movie. I started playing it and was hooked,” Cunanan said.

Trinity competes in the Kentucky High School Hockey League, which includes teams from Louisville, Lexington and Owensboro.  They also play against teams from Indiana, Tennessee and Ohio.

The Rocks have fought through a long season, playing 40 games, but are ready for the state tournament.

“I want to win state and finish my senior year strong with great memories,” Cunanan said.

Win or lose, these players will always be brothers. Junior Todd Crenshaw put it best: “We are like a wolfpack. We will always have each other’s backs.”