Trinity Department of Theatre Arts Rocks to Rave Reviews

A Glimpse Behind the Hit Production

Trinitys+Department+of+Theatre+Arts+received+rave+reviews+for+their+spring+musical%2C+Rock+of+Ages+--+High+School+Edition.++

photo provided by Producer/Artistic Director Kate Reedy

Trinity’s Department of Theatre Arts received rave reviews for their spring musical, “Rock of Ages — High School Edition.”

Jacob Anonson, Staff Reporter

What had music of the ’80s, packed houses, and rave reviews?

Easy answer: the Trinity Department of Theatre Arts spring production of “Rock of Ages.”

Complete with hairspray, guitars, dancing and a love story, “Rock of Ages — High School Edition” opened Mar. 14 in the Trinity Auditorium.  A look at one of the rehearsals showed how this energetic production came about.

Ms. Kate Reedy, who has worked in various ways with Trinity theatre for 11 years — starting as an actor and now as producer/director/choreographer — wanted to bring something that was both nostalgic and never seen before at Trinity, leading her to select “Rock of Ages — High School Edition.”  

Techs build the sets, design the lights, basically anything on the stage is us.

— Trinity junior Jacob Bellucci

Reedy’s company had performed the fun, fast “The Complete Works of Shakespeare (Abridged)” in the fall, so she wanted to bring something more contemporary for the spring musical.

Music was first and foremost in this production. “Music built the plot, not the other way around,” junior Jacob Bellucci, a technician, said.

You could see it in the set and props.  Music everywhere.   Junior Garrett Price (Mayor Klinemann) said keeping vocal strength was important.

Preparation for this show didn’t include only the actors, but technicians as well. Bellucci, who has worked with Trinity theatre for two shows so far, said, “Techs build the sets, design the lights, basically anything on the stage is us.”

The set was massive and very detailed, from the posters of rock legends hanging everywhere to the giant Trinity “T”center stage.

The story involves the power of music and effects of fame. Price, who plays the antagonist of the play, described one of his lines being a spin on a classic Jefferson Starship song: “I’ll rid this city of rock and roll.”

Before opening night, Reedy said, “This play is essentially about dreams and realizing that they can change, and finding dreams in unexpected places.”

Respect is a big thing when it comes to trying to learn, listen to and create art. Reedy said the students showed great maturity and helped make her job easier. She described the company as a team, like a family.

Price agreed, saying, “The time I’ve spent here as helped me make some of my closest friendships.”