Much More Than a Fancy Dinner

celebraTion Helps Make Trinity a Reality for Many Students

Todd Crenshaw, Staff Reporter

On the surface it looks like a fancy dinner and a chance to socialize.  Trinity’s celebraTion, however, is much more than that. Although Trinity is a school that everyone should be able to experience, it might not be possible for some because of financial reasons.

The annual celebraTion — reaching the 50-year mark this year — is one way the school helps solve that problem. Trinity junior Brandon Chou knows the importance of celebraTion for Trinity.  

Through Trinity’s fundraising events like celebraTion, more and more students are given the opportunity to attend a prestigious high school like Trinity.

— Trinity junior Brandon Chou

He said, “Aside from it being the biggest fundraiser all year, it gives people an opportunity to further their education at an institution as distinguished and well known as Trinity High School; celebraTion is a way to give back to the community while at the same time hosting a beautiful, fun evening for its attendees.”

Starting in the late ’60s and at one time called the Benefit Dinner, celebraTion has grown from a small event to one of the biggest and most popular of the year. Proceeds from the night also help fund Trinity’s student activities and athletics.

In addition to a lavish dinner, patrons bid on donated items. Among the many donations at this year’s celebraTion, a dog named Mr. T went to the person who bid highest.

Many other cool items were available at the auction, including sports memorabilia and Trinity lore. The school netted nearly 75 percent after expenses this year.

The Auction Item Gathering committee works year round. From making phone calls to sending letters to visiting local businesses, this committee helps make celebraTion happen.

Many students also help with the event, held this year on Mar. 10 in the Communication Arts Center convocation hall.

Over the course of the night, students assisted as servers and valets while others performed a sample of the spring musical for the guests. The jazz band dressed up and played tunes while diners mingled. Art students demonstrated their skills as well.

The atmosphere can be described as “electric,” according to Chou: “Everywhere I looked, there were alumni dancing, eating, laughing, and most importantly, having a splendid time.  It was like a huge blowout party — and we, as servers, were always on our toes, switching from task to task.  There were only a few minutes for a break, and then we were back out in the field.”

According to Mrs. Michelle Walters, associate director of the Trinity Annual Fund, the most important part of the night comes with the financial appeal. During this time, patrons are shown a video that displays the benefits of a scholarship at Trinity.

Many Trinity students are aware of the importance of need-based scholarships and assistance.  Chou said, “While I am not certain of the exact number of students that I have met that are on scholarship, I know that financial aid constituted a large part of their decision to attend Trinity.

“Many of my friends have stated that they probably would have gone to a public school unless Trinity was able to provide them with a scholarship.  Through Trinity’s fundraising events like celebraTion, more and more students are given the opportunity to attend a prestigious high school like Trinity.”