Achieving Goal Could Be a Dunn Deal

Cross Country Rocks Heading to State Meet

Andrew Cawood, Staff Reporter

Three hundred runners crouch on a line.

A gun goes off and the stampede starts as 3.1 miles of pure adrenaline and mental games begin.

Following a perfect finish in the regional, the Trinity cross country team steadies itself in anticipation of the Nov. 3 state meet in Lexington. A major addition to the varsity this season came in the form of junior transfer Bryce Dunn, who scored a fourth in the 3A, Region Four race in 16:19.74.

Dunn came to Trinity from, as he put it, “a small school,” Christian Academy of Indiana.

Rocks runner Bryce Dunn placed fourth in the regional.

Dunn said the shift from a small school was life changing. He explained that Trinity meets all his academic needs, the major reason he transferred.  

I was surprised how he adapted so well. He is a great, energetic personality, always there to talk to people when you need him. He is a great motivator and speaker. Everyone is glad he’s here.

— senior captain Nick Michels

According to Dunn, Trinity’s mission fit what he was looking for, helping him become a better student while maintaining his faith and character.

Dunn is succeeding in the classroom and on the team. The chatter around the locker room says it all.

Colin Dunaway said, “Man, Bryce is the nicest guy ever.”

“Dang, he’s so fast,” Henry Wilmes said.

Senior captain Nick Michels said, “I was surprised how he adapted so well. He is a great, energetic personality, always there to talk to people when you need him. He is a great motivator and speaker. Everyone is glad he’s here.”

Dunn feels the same way about his teammates.

He said, “It’s a great group of guys, and I have a great privilege being able to run with them. All the team bonding really helped, especially camp.

“Camp is a running camp in the Smokey Mountains. Coach takes around 25 guys, rents a big cabin and run a lot, over 70 miles in around six days. It was cool being able to spend this time with the guys and only helped me adapt even more.”

Both head coach Scott Holzknecht and Michels said Dunn’s talent pushes the Rocks that much closer to a state championship.

The first meet this season was the Tiger Run, in which Dunn finished first for the Rocks and competed with the best runners in the state. He finished third overall and ran a strong 16.22.

The fact that he came into a new state, with a new level of competition, and still placed that well impressed everyone.

Dunn and Holzknecht described the training the Rocks do as “Boss Hogg mileage.” These are the elite runners on the team — only about five guys run this mileage, which consists of  about 70 miles a week, three easier days, a 15-mile distance day, and three fast days.

Dunn said this kind of training is “perfect for me. I’m a guy who likes a lot of mileage, and I really feel like I’m getting better on this team.”

Dunn has had great training partners who can run his speed — seniors Shane Williams, Jack Baum, Nick Stauble, Wilmes and Logan Rice, junior Nick Lewis and sophomore Ryan O’Dea — all worked hard and pushed each other throughout the season.

Will all the training lead to a state title? Many have high hopes for a team their coach calls the fastest in school history.