Dreams Not Diminished by Disappointment

Seniors Set Sights on Soccer Scholarships

A+tight-knit+group%2C+the+soccer+Rocks+notched+an+undefeated+season.+

photo by Matt Gadd

A tight-knit group, the soccer Rocks notched an undefeated season.

Andrew Cawood, Staff Reporter

A header across the middle bounces out, then is struck with a powerful blow, sending it rocketing into the upper 90.

Fans scream, players run to the corner. Goal, Rocks!

The Trinity soccer Rocks had a disappointing end to an outstanding regular season, but still have many reasons to be proud.

Coming off an undefeated regular season, the Rocks lost their Seventh Region quarterfinal playoff game on penalty kicks, 4-3 to Ballard. The seniors took it hard, but three are looking to their future in soccer, continuing their athletic talents in college.

Nathan Barry said, “I am one of the starting center backs on the No. 1-ranked defense in the country.”

This is a tremendous accomplishment considering the number of high school soccer programs in the country.

Barry said, “I have received many scholarship opportunities, and right now I’m trying to figure out where to go. I have received offers from Bellarmine, Dayton and Centre.”

These are all schools with strong soccer programs.  

I am thankful for this team and all we accomplished throughout the years.

— Trinity senior Brandon McManus

Barry said, “I wouldn’t mind playing at any one of these colleges. They all have great programs I would love to be a part of.”

Barry discussed the recruiting process he experienced.

Barry said, “They were all really good. They came to my games and talked to me and my family afterward. They encouraged me to visit campus and see what their college was like. I was able to see some of these colleges play, and it looked like something I wanted to be a part of.”

When asked about this past season, Barry showed some emotion. Of a team that recorded 15 shutouts, he said, “This was one of the best teams Trinity has ever had. We had a great regular season but came up short in the game that mattered the most. We knew it would be a tough road to the state title, and nothing was given; we just went out and played our best.”

The best striker in the state, Brandon McManus spoke of his desire to continue playing soccer.

McManus, who signed in November, said, “I will be attending the University of Kentucky on a soccer scholarship.”

Of his recruitment, McManus said, “The UK coach really showed that he cared about me. He came to multiple games and tournaments. It felt nice when I scored and saw him standing on the sideline smiling.”

McManus, who scored 32 goals, was selected Kentucky Offensive Player of the Year.

Reflecting on his last season with Trinity, McManus said, “It was a good one, didn’t end how we wanted, but we have to move past. I expected to win state and everyone else did, but we must reflect, see what we did wrong, improve, and move on. I am thankful for this team and all we accomplished throughout the years.”

A major factor in a stellar defense, Brendan Gallagher said, “I have hopes to play in college, but nothing is for sure.”

Gallagher’s season was very good, and he got looked at by multiple colleges. He said, “I have been recruited by Hanover College. They did a really good job with the recruitment; they came to my games, invited me to visit, took me to a Hanover game, and came to a lot of my tournaments.”

Gallagher said if his scholarship plans don’t work out, he still plans on going to U of L, WKU, or Western Washington University, with hopes to walk on the team.

As he reflected on the past season, he said, “I couldn’t be prouder of our guys. We had a great regular season but came up short in one game. I loved being part of this team and can’t wait to get back on the field for travel soccer.”