Trinity Baseball to Have New Home in Familiar Territory

photo by Dominick DelSignore

Trinity’s new baseball field is under construction.

Dominick DelSignore, Staff Reporter

After the spring 2018 flood left more than seven feet of water on the Thurman-Hutchins Field, Trinity was in a desperate mode to find a spot for home games.

Two bad floods in four years on Thurman-Hutchins Field, located on River Road, was tough on the team’s practice and game times this past season.

Trinity missed many practices and postponed many games. Either they could practice and risk playing on the field or not practice.  Thurman-Hutchins Field is owned by the City of Louisville and has several areas where the ground is uneven, because the field is in the flood plain of the Ohio River. 

This new facility will create a lot of excitement and raise the expectations of our young baseball team to be more consistent in winning.

— Trinity baseball head coach Rick Arnold

After playing at Thurman Hutchins Field for 15 years, Trinity decided it was time for a change. They decided to form a partnership with St. Matthews Little League to build a new turf field right down the road.

This partnership will create a new $2.7 million playing field located behind Ten Pin Lanes on Shelbyville Road. The new location, one mile away from Trinity, will allow students and their families to easily attend games and cheer on the team.

This new baseball field will be called Voll Field, because the Voll family contributed a large amount of the funding, along with Trinity’s 15,000 alumni donors.  The City of St. Matthews contributed the land.

This shared agreement between the City of St. Matthews, St. Matthews Little League, and Trinity made this project possible.  When Trinity isn’t using the field, St. Matthews Little League games will be held on the new field.

Trinity Assistant Athletics Director Sean Duggins, who also coaches baseball, said, “The best part about the field is that there are black lines out on the outfield so that we can set up the Little League fence.”

According to Trinity baseball head coach Rick Arnold, “This new facility will create a lot of excitement and raise the expectations of our young baseball team to be more consistent in winning.”

Of his team, which has only seven seniors, Arnold said, “This team will be great if they learn to have patience.”

Senior second baseman Jared Bryant said he is “excited for the new field” for his senior year, hoping the Rocks can win Trinity’s first baseball state championship.

Voll Field will seat 500 people, with room for another 200 in the standing area.  Concessions will sell food typically seen at Trinity football games. The players’ dugouts are going to be huge, and Trinity’s home locker room is going to be “top of the line.”

The stadium will be built by Flynn Brothers Contracting, a Trinity friend, and the same contractor that constructed the state-of-the-art Bellarmine University Stadium.

Trinity’s Assistant AD Sean Duggins talks about the Rocks’ new baseball field………….videos by Dominick DelSignore

Trinity baseball head coach Rick Arnold talks about the new field.