Trinity Senior Selected for United States Senate Youth Program

Headed to Washington and to Receive $10,000 College Scholarship

ECHO Staff

Trinity senior Nick Huls

The United States Senate Youth Program announced that Trinity senior Nick Huls will join Senator Mitch McConnell and Senator Rand Paul in representing Kentucky in the nation’s capital during the 58th annual USSYP Washington Week, to be held Mar. 7-14, 2020.

Huls was one of only two students from Kentucky selected to be part of the 104 national student delegation who will also each receive a $10,000 college scholarship for undergraduate study.  Huls was nominated by Trinity Principal Dr. Dan Zoeller.

Huls serves as a Student Government representative. He is a National Merit Semifinalist, an AP Scholar with Distinction, and a Kentucky Governor’s Scholar. Huls is vice president of the National Honor Society and president of Y-Club, which encompasses Kentucky Youth Assembly and Kentucky United Nations Assembly delegations.

He received an Outstanding Speaker award at KYA and an Outstanding Resolution award at KUNA. Huls is captain and a third-year varsity starter of the quick recall team. He also participates in jazz band, the St. Joseph of Arimathea Society, and Hand in Hand Ministries’ immersion mission trips.

While in Washington the student delegates attend meetings and briefings with senators, members of the House of Representatives, Congressional staff, the president, a justice of the Supreme Court, leaders of cabinet agencies, an ambassador to the United States and senior members of the national media.