Vaping Dangers Not Stopping Teens

Sam Repp, Staff Reporter

Cigarettes have been around for centuries, but in 2014 a new way of smoking called vaping hit the world. It hit Trinity. It’s also taking away lives.

An article in The New York Times by Matt Richtel and Denis Grady points out that vaping has caused 55 deaths around the nation in 27 states.

You see your brother or sister vape, and you want to do it.

— Trinity counselor Dr. Aaron Striegel

Administrators agreed that more education about vaping needs to be included in schools.

Trinity Advanced Program counselor Dr. Aaron Striegel said, “We need to have discussions about not vaping and tell the facts about it and how bad it is.”

The chemicals inhaled through vaping are harmful to the respiratory system and can hurt the brains of young people.

Why do people vape? Many are under the impression that vaping is better for you than smoking or will help quit smoking.

Some just want to look cool. Striegel said siblings and friends can influence each other. He said, “You see your brother or sister vape, and you want to do it.”

What if you get caught vaping on school property?

Trinity Directors of Students Mr. Joe Henning and Mr. Randy Perkins pointed out that consequences “will be a jug (detention) and or a Saturday jug and drug testing,” along with working with the family to help a student stop vaping.

How do students get their hands on vape pens and vaping products?

Sometimes stores don’t card students who are under age, they get someone to buy the products for them, or they buy online.

Scientists continue studying what makes vaping dangerous. Cigarettes have been around for centuries, but now vaping is shocking the world.