Reverbs from the ECHO Chamber — a Q & A with Mr. Mike Domzalski

Brennan Powers, Staff Reporter

Another in a continuing series of Q & A interviews with Trinity faculty, staff and administrators.

Mr. Mike Domzalski graduated from Trinity in 1985 and would come back a decade later as a teacher.  He is known for making learning fun, using “The Simpsons,” for example, and teaching students life lessons from several of the episodes. His son, Josh, is a member of the Junior Class. Domzalski spoke about his time at Trinity as a student and teacher.

Trinity teacher Mr. Mike Domzalski

Q: When did you first begin to teach at Trinity?

A: This is my 24th year, so I believe my first year was around the 1995-96 school year. My first year I taught part time and only taught two periods. The following year I went full time.

Q: What is your favorite memory from your time at Trinity so far?

A: It is hard to say, there are so many. Working senior retreats, watching people succeed — state championships, theatre — hard to say just one. With my son going here now, it hits me personally. Hard to narrow one down, but the overall experience is awesome.

Q: What are some of your hobbies out of school?

A: I love to read, looking for new books or old, rare, unique out-of-print stuff. I love to travel — went to Disney World on my honeymoon.  I love spending time with my family and being with the people I care about.

Q: Why did you want to become a teacher?

A: I love the subjects of theology and philosophy. That involves much discussion and interactions. I love being around kids because it keeps you young. I love seeing them grow up. (Trinity) is a fun place to be with great staff members. I worked with the book store, then came back into teaching and love it.

Q: What do you look forward to each day at Trinity?

A: Seeing Chad Waggoner across the hall. I enjoy being around the kids and all the people and laughing with them. I enjoy making an impact on the kids.

Q: Where do you see yourself after your teaching career ends?

A: When I retire, I want to travel. We love to drive. We drove to Las Vegas before. I want to do a lot of reading, maybe go back to college to take a class to keep my brain sharp and to keep learning.

Q: If you weren’t a teacher at Trinity, what would you be doing?

A: I would work in a book store or a library in an academic environment.

Q: What sports teams do you follow?

A: I am a big Louisville fan. I am a Washington Redskins football fan. I used to live in Washington and moved when I was five. I’m a Cincinnati Reds fan because they are close. We go to a couple of games per year. Those are my three teams. I don’t have an NBA team.

Q: When and why did you get into “The Simpsons”?

A: When it first came on, it was new and cutting edge. It made fun of stuff, but did it in a way that was intelligent. When I watched, I would talk with my brothers about it. I could always recall a “Simpsons” episode that went along with lessons I was teaching. The students liked it, and it made points.

Q: What is your favorite vacation place?

A: Disney World — we went there on our honeymoon and went back after having Josh and have continued to go back ever since.

Q: If you could teach any subject other than theology, what would it be?

A: If I was smart enough to teach it, it would be an astronomy class. I have a telescope, but I am not very good with it. I marvel at the universe and how big it is. I would find that interesting.