Reverbs from the ECHO Chamber — a Q & A with Mr. Devian Logan

Trenton Steele, Staff Reporter

Trinity teacher, counselor and coach Mr. Devian Logan

Another in a continuing series of Q & A interviews with Trinity faculty, staff and administrators.

Teacher, counselor, coach and outstanding athlete, Mr. Devian Logan, Class of 1991, spoke about his time in college and his work at Trinity.

Q: You played football and ran track in college. How did you end up at Villanova?

A: Well, through the recruiting process, I had offers from all over the place. I was going to Oklahoma State, but my mother liked Villanova, and she wanted me to go there.

Q: What did you like most about playing football?

A: Besides getting to physically knock people around, the brotherhood and bond you make with your teammates. I am an only child, so they were like brothers to me.

Q: What do you like most about coaching?

A: Sharing knowledge that I have with other players. Also teaching guys life lessons and shaping them to be young men. The most important thing is we are shaping them to be good men.

Q: Coaching vs playing — which one would you do if you could choose right now?

A: A player never wants to stop playing, of course, so playing. I tell the guys before every game, I wish I could switch spots with you and go on that field and battle. Coaching is the closest thing you can get to still being able to play, but it doesn’t compare to playing.

Q: How do you like being a counselor at Trinity High School?

A: I enjoy it. I am still young enough to where I can relate to the students and talk their language to get them to feel comfortable to come speak to me.

Q: You played some pro ball. How was it different than college?

A: I played in the CFL (Canadian Football League). It was a job. College was a job, but this was a real job, all day every day. I enjoyed it a lot. You made a “nice living.”

Q: Did you enjoy playing in Canada?

A: Yes, fun. You have to think, I played (football) since I was five years old and was able to play until I was 26.

Q: Who were some of the best players you played with?

A: In college, probably Willy Olsen. I was in awe of just his physical stature. When I went to visit Villanova, he was working out, and coach took me to the weight room. Willy was 6 feet 7, 280 pounds but probably had only 6 to 7 percent body fat. He was a monster and played for the Denver Broncos for a long time.

Q: A favorite Trinity football memory?

A: Running back the opening kickoff against St. Xavier High School my senior year was a pretty big deal.