Reverbs from the ECHO Chamber — a Q & A with Connor Carrico ’20

Brennan Powers '20, Staff Reporter

Trinity Class of 2020 graduate Connor Carrico                              Signature Studio

Another in a continuing series of Q & A interviews with Trinity spring sports student-athletes.

Connor Carrico, a 2020 Trinity graduate, was the lone senior on the volleyball team, led by third-year Head Coach Kelly Gillooly. Carrico, who was tabbed as a leader for talented underclassmen, spoke about playing for the Rocks. 

Q: How far do you think Trinity volleyball would have gone in the tournament this year?

A: This year would have led to the championship. We had a very solid team with some great underclassmen.

Q: What would your role have been on the team this year?

A: Well, when the season started, I was injured, and I didn’t get to play in our one game that we had. I was the captain of the team, and I was the right-side hitter. I also served as the senior leader on the team.

Q: How important is teamwork in volleyball?

A: Everyone has their part, and volleyball is a mental game just as much as a physical one. You need your teammates there to help you get back up.

There’s just something about it. It’s so fun, and the best part is being able to play it anytime, whether it’s indoors or outdoors.

Q: What made you want to play volleyball?

A: I was convinced to try volleyball when I was in the fifth grade. I started playing club when I was about 13 and haven’t stopped playing since.

Q: What is a favorite volleyball memory?

A: When we went to nationals in Dallas and placed 13th in the nation.

Q: Who has been your biggest influence during your volleyball career?

A: Coach Nolan, who was the first coach I had when I first started playing, and he has helped me completely with learning how to play.

Q: Where did you find love for the game of volleyball?

A: There’s just something about it. It’s so fun, and the best part is being able to play it anytime, whether it’s indoors or outdoors.

Q: Do you plan to play volleyball after high school, and if so, where?

A: I’ve received some offers to play, but they all have been to far away. I have decided to attend UK and play club volleyball there.

Q: What impact has Trinity volleyball had on you?

A: It’s taught me how to play with a team, and it has most importantly taught me how to lead, pick the team up when we are down, and push them more and more when we are at the highest point.