Reverbs from the ECHO Chamber — a Q & A with Julian Pirtle ’20

Trenton Steele, Staff Reporter

Julian Pirtle ’20 was a leader for the Rocks track team.                           Signature Studio

Another in a continuing series of Q & A interviews with Trinity spring sports student-athletes.

Recent graduate Julian Pirtle was slated to be a leader of this year’s track and field team, led by first-year head coach Michael Thompson. A member of last year’s state champion team, Pirtle brought home a region first in the triple jump (42-10). He answered a few questions about his track career.

Q: Which year on the team was your favorite?

A: My favorite year running was definitely junior year. The atmosphere and the overall experience was really nice. Plus, we had a good team.

Q: Is there a coach who has had a major impact on you?

A: I think Coach (Barry) Swearingen has had the biggest impact on me. He’s the jump coach, and I was a jumper, so I spent the most time with him.

Q: You played other sports at Trinity in the past. Was track the most enjoyable?

A: I think track was definitely the most enjoyable for me, partially because I was better at track compared to other sports. Also, I enjoyed the community. 

Having the team as a community every year has helped me grow a lot. It’s also built my character and helped with leadership skills.

Q: Did you feel a lot of pressure this season being a senior and a team leader?

A: I felt some pressure, but I was also team leader last year for jumps, so it was something I was used to.

Q: What qualities make a good team captain?

A: Having overall good leadership skills helps a lot. Also, knowing there’s a time and place for everything and knowing when to be serious.

Q: Who was your favorite athlete to train with the past three years?

A: My favorite athlete to train with was (senior) James Moore.

Q: How did you learn to calm your nerves before an important meet?

A: It took a lot of experience. At first my nerves would get to me, and it would affect my performance. But after a while I learned.

Q: How did you and your teammates make practice fun?

A: Just joking around at some times and being reminded that we’re all in this together.

Q: What emotions do you feel when you play well?

A: Definitely, a lot of pride, having that feeling of accomplishment is always nice, and it makes it feel like all the hard work and pain was worth it.

Q: How has being part of the Trinity track team the past three years impacted you as a person?

A: Having the team as a community every year has helped me grow a lot. It’s also built my character and helped with leadership skills.