ECHO

• Opening Mass - August 25

‘Goodbye Days’ Author Jeff Zentner Will Discuss Novel in Sept. 16 Virtual Visit

ECHO Staff

From Library Media Specialists Mrs. Betsy DeGolian and Mr. Tim Jones:

Below is a link to our first library newsletter of the year, which we hope will give you some ideas about how the library can make things a bit easier for you.  Please contact us at any time!

Trinity Library News

W. Peter Flaig Library Media Center

Welcome Back!

We hope you’re settling in to this new school year okay. Our first newsletter of the year is designed to give you some information about various digital library resources that may help you as you teach this year. Please don’t hesitate to contact Betsy or Tim if we can help in anyway!

Sora–eBooks and Audiobooks

Given our current online environment, we have added hundreds of titles to our Sora eBook and audiobook collection. Below are a few of the titles we’ve added. If you’d like access, email Betsy, and she’ll create an account for you. If you’d like us to add a particular title for your class or personal use, let Betsy know.

Gale eBooks

In addition to Sora, we also expanded our collection of Gale eBooks. These books are reference materials and allow you to download or link articles for your students, which you can post in Teams or Rockspace. You can also assign your students a research topic and have them use the Gale eBooks or other Gale databses (In Context, Literature Resource Center, and Opposing Viewpoints) to find vetted and accurate information on a variety of topics. You and your students will need to input the password “trinity” to access these resources.Below are some of the Gale eBooks we have. You can view a complete list here. The password is “trinity.”

Attached below the titles is our Databases Reference Sheet which gives you information about all the databases to which we subscribe. Feel free to share it with your students.

docx

Library Databases Reference Sheet.docx

We Can Help!

We Can Help!

If you find yourself wanting to integrate a new technology tool into your classroom but aren’t sure how, let us know. We are happy to help you integrate a variety of tools to assist your students, including:

• Digital breakout games
  • Flipgrid
  • Virtual reality
  • Edpuzzle
  • Pictochart and infographics
  • Canva
  • Adobe Spark, Screencastify and video creation
  • Whiteboard.fi
  • Bitmoji classrooms
  • And many more!

Let us know how we can help you!

Bitmoji Library

Bitmoji Library

Have you seen a Bitmoji classroom and wondered what it is? The best way to answer that is to explore Trinity’s Bitmoji Library today In short, it’s a fun, visual way to engage students by simulating an in-person reality. Touring our Bitmoji Library, you’ll find objects hyperlinked to the catalog, ebooks and databases, new book titles, a form to sign up for LFPL PowerPlus cards, and even a room of library resources for the English department. For those who prefer something a little more basic, the library website still exists, and it now offers a Quicks Link section on the homepage. Email Tim if you have questions about how he created the Bitmoji Library or you would like assistance building your own Bitmoji classroom.Bitmojis are also a great way to conduct a digital breakout. Betsy has created a couple and would be happy to help you create your own with your content. Click here and here to see her examples.

THANK YOU!

THANK YOU!

We’d like to give a huge thanks to those teachers who agreed to conduct cross-curricular sessions connected to Goodbye Days. These sessions will help students process the book and show them that reading connects to all subject areas, not just English.If you’d like to view any of the planned sessions, the schedule, including Teams links, is below.

docx

Goodbye Days Breakout Sessions.docx

Jeff Zentner Virtual Visit

Wednesday, Sep. 16th, 8am

This is an online event.

Throughout the day on September 16, Jeff Zentner will join English classes to discuss his novel Goodbye Days as well as answer student questions. Each session will be recorded via Teams for those students (and teachers) who are not able to see him live.
Big picture

Faculty and Staff Reading Challenge

Faculty and Staff Reading Challenge

Don’t forget to keep track of what you’ve been reading in 2020. Read books from 12 of the genres listed in the attachment below, submit to the library, and you’ll be entered to win a $50 gift card to the place of your choice. Forms are due December 11, 2020.
docx

2020 Trinity Faculty&Staff Reading Challenge.docx

Professional News

Tim is honored to serve this school year as the President of the Jefferson County Association of School Librarians (JCASL). In only three months in the role, Tim has already helped shatter the JCASL membership record by 30 members, reshaped JCASL’s future by building the most diverse board in JCASL history, and increased the number of board positions from to 18 to 25 (adding positions for Advocacy, Diversity, Events, PD, and NTI). He’s also overseen an official JCASL Equity and Diversity statement, a new and improved JCASL website, ongoing NTI and pandemic resource sharing, expanded social media outreach, a record number of applications for JCASL’s Lucy Marx Scholarship, and the most viewed JCASL newsletter on record. You can check out some of these happenings, some of the professional developments he led this summer (including via Zoom to Peru), and more in the JCASL newsletter here. Also a member of the KASL state board, Tim continues to grow and help other educators grow through his professional learning networks.