Allow Students a Chance to Avoid College Debt

Connor Romines, Staff Reporter

Senior Connor Romines

Should college be free?

To say the least, the cost of attending a four-year college or university is significant, and many students can be shackled by income restraints that force them to accrue serious student loans. A college degree is one of the most valuable tools an adult can have in order to attain success, so this brings the question: Should a four-year college education be free?

The average public in-state college tuition in 2020 for one year is $9, 687. This factors in financial aid as well as scholarships and is a massive chunk of money. The U.S. average student loan debt in 2019 was more than $30,000.

This cost may rise even more due to interest, which delays other major purchases such as a house or a car. In turn, this negatively impacts the general population since these college graduates aren’t able to help the economy.

Lower-income students often have no option to attend a university, and a free college education would help end the cycle of poverty seen throughout the nation. If students can earn a degree and a job that pays well, they will be able to contribute in various ways much sooner.

Some argue that a college education is not necessary, but the job market is not the same as in the 1960s. A high school diploma in 2020 affords workers, on average, $37,024 — $712 dollars a week will not net any American enough income to support a family.

Those opposed to offering free education frequently mention the increased taxes that would inevitably come in order to fund this plan, but is it not worth it?

Educating the next generation and equipping them to handle the challenges of tomorrow will pay dividends in the future.