STEM Club Allows Students to ‘Get Hands Dirty Building Things”

STEM+Club+moderator+Mr.+Stephen+Hammer+watches+as+junior+Chris+Paris+works+on+a+project.+Paris+has+been+a+member+of+the+STEM+Club+for+the+past+two+and+a+half+years.+

photo by Shane Limberg

STEM Club moderator Mr. Stephen Hammer watches as junior Chris Paris works on a project. Paris has been a member of the STEM Club for the past two and a half years.

Shane Limberg, Staff Reporter

Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics. Known collectively as STEM, these disciplines help make the world go round. 

The STEM Club is led by moderator Mr. Stephen Hammer, who has been a part of the program for three years.

The STEM Club gives any student the opportunity to work in the elaborate STEM lab without having to participate in an engineering or aerospace class, typically only provided to upperclassmen.

Hammer said, “I just wanted to give them (the students not in an engineering class) a chance to play around with some of these machines and see how cool some of these processes can be.”

For students interested in becoming an engineer, work in aerospace, or any other job that involves hands-on work, the STEM Club is ideal.

I love science and building stuff, and I mean what better way to do it than the STEM Club.

— Trinity junior Chris Paris

Junior Chris Paris said, “I love science and building stuff, and I mean what better way to do it than the STEM Club.”

Freshman Braydon Profumo said, “I decided to do something I am interested in. You should join if you are interested in building things and learning how to program objects.”

Students are given the opportunity to improve their problem-solving abilities and learn more about high-tech machinery, skills that may impress colleges and future employers.

Of the club’s approach, Hammer said, “It is super fun with an easy-going atmosphere. If you have an idea of something you want to build, most likely we can make it and play around with new techniques as we get our hands dirty building things.”

The club was making tremendous progress last year as they expanded their knowledge on the use of 3D printing. Unfortunately, COVID shut down production before the team was able to finish their project.

After an Oct. 21 meeting on campus, Hammer said of going online totally in November, “I am going to have guys virtually join the meetings, but it’s one of those things that is most successful when they can be in here.”

Students have been able to complete several unique projects in past STEM Club work. Paris said, “I really liked when we put together the hurricane tunnel my first year. It was out of the wind tunnel, but we put in water lines and it was a lot of fun.”

Profumo said of previous STEM involvement, “I remember we programmed a Lego robot to detect the color red. Every time it hit the red wall, it would make a beeping noise.”

Plans and goals are important to the club’s moderator.

Hammer said, “I would like for us to really set a goal for a potential build that we want to achieve over the course of this year and see it through.”