Sts. Peter and Paul Society Works to ‘Enhance Our Catholic Faith’

photo by Zhi'Yon Bullard '20

Some members of last year’s Sts. Peter and Paul Society taking part in the Stations of the Cross during Lent. Pictured are Nicolas Caicedo, Mr. Chris Luken, Mr. Mike Magre, Mr. Dave Aberli and Mr. Patrick Koopman.

Blake Davis, Staff Reporter

Some members of last year’s Sts. Peter and Paul Society.                                                                                                   photo by Zhi’Yon Bullard ’20

“Our main goal is to continue to enhance our Catholic faith here at Trinity.”

This, according to co-moderator Mr. Mike Magre, is the purpose of the Sts. Peter and Paul Society.

The society began three years ago when Magre and Mr. Bernie Schum decided they wanted to help in the student’s journey of becoming men of faith and character.

The two got the idea when they attended the Faith Formation Conference at Notre Dame.

Trinity really encourages all of us to live our faith and express ourselves through our faith. I really wanted to get involved with the group in any way I could.

— Trinity junior Michael Massey

Magre said, “There were a lot of talks about how to work in schools and how to enhance Catholic faith in schools.”

Magre cited some ways the group helps students become more in tune with their faith.

He said, “We really work with the students to start up initiatives — things like (saying) the rosary and the Eucharistic Adoration. Mr. Schum has done the Elijah Cup, and he’s brought in speakers from the outside.”

Senior Dale Magre, a society member, described one of the big projects he helped work on last year.

He said, “There was a giant rosary that we did where we’d put petitions and make them into little links in a chain, and it would be stretched across the cafeteria wall. It really gets people involved in the Catholic faith without being in people’s faces.”

Dale said he thinks the group has done a really good job of helping him feel closer to God. He encourages others to join. He said, “If they really want to get more involved with their faith, I’d think that would be a really great way of doing that. The (group is) very welcoming, and I would suggest it to any freshman and sophomore who’s still looking for something to do at Trinity.”

Junior Michael Massey, who has been a member of the Sts. Peter and Paul Society since his freshman year, said he was invited to the society by a senior and has really enjoyed his time with the group.

Massey said, “Trinity really encourages all of us to live our faith and express ourselves through our faith. I really wanted to get involved with the group in any way I could.”

He spoke about how the club meets monthly to discuss schoolwide projects, among them saying the rosary together and going through the Stations of the Cross during Lent.

He also suggested that other students join. “If they want to live out their faith, I would definitely suggest it.”