Full Time on Campus Renews Shamrock Spirit

Freshman+Rockin+is+just+one+of+the+ways+a+sense+of+normalcy+returned+to+Trinity+this+year.+

photo by Chris Raymer

Freshman Rockin’ is just one of the ways a sense of normalcy returned to Trinity this year.

Chris Raymer, Staff Reporter

After nearly 18 months of lockdowns, hybrid schedules, and masks, the Trinity community couldn’t be happier to get back to a form of normalcy. Teachers, students and parents expressed how thrilled they are to have everybody back in the building five days a week.

“Anything that keeps us open and keeps you guys in the building, period, is for the greater good,” Trinity teacher Mr. Michael Budniak said.

Currently, Trinity students are required to wear masks throughout the school day, unless they are eating at lunch or walking outside, per recommendations from the Archdiocese of Louisville and the Center for Disease Control.

Trinity has taken extra safety precautions to keep students in school, such as QR codes in the cafeteria for contact tracing, hand sanitizer dispensers throughout the building, and disinfectant wipes for the classrooms. While masks may be a bit of a hassle sometimes, students and teachers alike prefer the in-person interaction over sitting in front of a computer screen. 

They’ve done a really good job of following precautions to keep COVID under control, so I’m really glad that you all are able to be in school full time because I think it’s so important.

— Trinity parent Mrs. Shaneh Raymer

Junior John Kehdy said, “I really enjoy seeing all my friends every day and being there every day; it’s just so nice.”

When asked if there was anything he missed about online school, Kehdy replied with a quick “Nope. Nothing.”

Most clubs and activities have returned as well. Per Trinity guidelines, all participants in indoor clubs and activities are required to wear masks, but outdoor activities allow students to see the full faces of their classmates.

Sports have bleachers full of fans, compared to last year’s half capacity, and the student section at games is fuller than ever. With masks off, the excitement on fans’ faces is once again evident.

Pride Week returned, with excitement buzzing throughout the school over students finding tiger tails and shouting “Beat St. X!” to their first-block teachers in hopes of winning a candy bar.

Trinity’s Department of Theatre Arts is preparing to open with a fall show this year, “Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde” — not having to wait until spring to put on two shows as they did last year.

Currently, all grade levels have their annual dances and proms planned as well, which many students look forward to.

Budniak said, “The degree of interaction is so important because of the ability of people to feed off of each other, and you just can’t get that from a remote standpoint.”

Since March of 2020, many people have learned to appreciate school, and everyday life in general, a little more. Mrs. Shaneh Raymer, a Trinity mother and a Jefferson County Public Schools employee, is very thankful for how Trinity handled the unforeseen circumstances.

Raymer said, “They’ve done a really good job of following precautions to keep COVID under control, so I’m really glad that you all are able to be in school full time because I think it’s so important.”

Though the transition between hybrid schedules last year was difficult for both students and teachers, many are thankful for the technology that enabled classes to continue, even if it was from home.

“I have a new appreciation for the fact that we have the technology to educate children at home,” Raymer said, “even though sometimes it’s not the most ideal situation.”

Throughout the pandemic, Kehdy has learned the importance of not taking things for granted.

He said, “Try and appreciate every day, and use every day to the fullest. I don’t take any of it for granted, and I hope I won’t again because you never really realize how much you have until it’s gone.”

For most students, despite the fact that final exams will return this year, the positives of being with each other again certainly outweigh the negatives.