A Short Journey Down a Long Road

photo by Sam Repp

As I begin my walk down the side of the road, I see old leaves on the grass, stuck there unable to move around without the precious wind.  I can feel the concrete surface under my shoes — and shots of air instantly making my feet colder.

Sam Repp, Photography Editor

While I pass Massie Avenue, I see barren trees, looking like they are hibernating and waiting for spring. I hear the sound of cars passing, each moving like they are the most important thing on the road.

As I walk, I see people warming up their cars.  I see people sitting on their front patio, waking up to the very bright sun with a hot cup of coffee. 

At Trinity, I see all the kids who might want to do something else, but they make the choice to learn and be their best self.

The frozen grass has a clear tint. The leaves are only wet, not frozen, but still stuck to the ground.

As I walk over a nice-sounding gravel, my hands are getting colder, and I have to put on my gloves even though I know I am not going to be in the cold much longer. The homes came to an end, and I know I am not far from my destination.

Another road pops up, and I see a couple of businesses, still closed because it is too early. One is already hard at work. There are train tracks ahead, but no train is coming this morning, so I continue.

When I realize my road has come to an end, I cross the street and go left.   I know I need to look, and once again cars think they are the most important thing out there. I plan where I can cross the street.

I know I have to take it and so I run across.  I go left and then right and am finally at Trinity High School.

As I walk from Trinity in the evening, I see the leaves. They too are stuck without the wind. A long road but a short journey.