Senior Thankful for the Trinity Brotherhood

Quinn Nickell, Tri-Editor in Chief

As I sit down to write this, I find myself wondering where the time has gone. Life seems to go by faster and faster, increasing with each passing day. People tell you to soak this time up, and make the most of your childhood because before you know it, you will be an adult with adult responsibilities. For some, that time has already come. For others, it is right around the corner.

Reflecting on my time at Trinity is certainly a bittersweet task — not because of any bad experiences but because it is almost over.  As seniors, we will be graduating on May 22, 2022. This is a date that seemed so far away and almost impossible to think about freshman year. Now the very same date is still impossible to think about, not because of how far away it is but because it is right around the corner.

Trinity senior and ECHO Tri-Editor in Chief Quinn Nickell

How do you comprehend saying goodbye to a place that has helped shape you as a man of faith and character? You don’t. You tell yourself you will visit and become part of what makes that institution so “greaT.” You hope that when you have sons of your own, you can give them the very same opportunity your parents and Trinity have given you.

My time at Trinity has most definitely been interesting. For us seniors, freshman year was the last normal year of schooling we had. Normal, a word that means average or to be expected — a word that we have been dying to hear and experience since the “extended spring break” of our sophomore year at Trinity. 

You can feel the brotherhood in this place. That is not just something Trinity says to get kids to come to school here.

As our final year comes to a close, it is a word we certainly do not expect to hear anytime soon. This has made getting involved difficult, but make no mistake, the Class of 2022 has not backed down from the challenge. Instead, we have risen to the challenge and exceeded the expectations of everyone around us.

In the past four years, I have been involved in Tim’s Flying Club, the Film Club, the Photography Club, the National Honor Society, and student government as a senior House Captain of Patrick House, all while taking honors and advanced classes and maintaining a 4.0 grade point average. That is just me — one member of the Class of 2022.

When you look at our class as a whole, you realize that we do not all look the same. We do not all share the same last name, let alone share the same goals in life. But just like this year’s motto states, “Never resT — Together We’re Best.” You can feel the brotherhood in this place. That is not just something Trinity says to get kids to come to school here.

It is something you can see in the halls, classrooms, on and off the fields, courts, and tracks. The experience that showed me what the Trinity brotherhood embodies was my senior retreat, ironically not on Trinity’s campus. It has given me a new perspective, a way of seeing not only my brothers at Trinity but also my brothers and sisters in Christ in this challenging and confusing world of ours.

Yes, there have been difficulties over these four years. Some include the loss of student life, the loss of parents, house fires, cancer, and the loss of a teacher’s life. That is just to name a few. Someone once said to me, “The bad days are what make the good ones even better.” They could not be any more correct. If we did not have bad days, we would not appreciate the good ones.

I know that in the days to come and the rest of our lives, the Trinity community will have challenges and difficulties. But it is my prayer that we help each other to get through them to celebrate the good times and triumphs of life.

Thank you, Trinity, for what you have done for my brothers and me.

“Trinity Forever — Brothers for Life.”