A Quick Six from Spring Sports Senior Matt Scaglione

Whit Hilleary, Staff Reporter

Last year’s lacrosse Rocks state runner-up finish has only inspired them to bring home a state championship.  Matt Scaglione, a senior leader on the team, answered a few questions about the upcoming season, which opens on the road at Montgomery Bell Academy on Mar. 5. 

Q: Why did you start playing lacrosse? Who inspired you?

A: I’ve been holding a stick ever since I can remember. It’s a sport that my dad, grandfather, and uncles all played growing up and has been a major part of my life. I played at Holy Trinity from third through eighth grade while always coming to Trinity games and dreaming of being a part of the team.

Q: What is the team doing to top last year’s state runner-up finish? 

A: We know how close we were last season and how hard it was to lose that late, so this season we’ve put in a lot of work, starting all the way in October with everything from lifting, wall ball, conditioning, or shooting practices as a team.

Trinity senior Matt Scaglione Line Drive Photography

Q: What are your goals for this season

A: Our goal is always to get a ring. We were close last year, but know we must put in a lot more work to get right back where we were and compete for the trophy again. Our team this off-season has shown a very good work ethic, which we hope will carry us to a lot of important wins this upcoming season.

Q: After high school, what are your expectations for the next level of lacrosse?

A: I plan on attending the University of Kentucky next year and signing up for their club lacrosse team, but I have not thought much about my future with the sport just yet. 

Our team this offseason has shown a very good work ethic, which we hope will carry us to a lot of important wins this upcoming season.

Q: How does head coach Pete Schroeder and the other coaches push the team to be their best?

A: Coach Schroeder is a massive part of our success and has prepared us all offseason for the talent we are about to face. Coach has won multiple championships here at Trinity and knows what it takes to win; he pushes the team all year in the weight room and on the field so we can meet those expectations in May.

Q: Why should opponents be afraid of Trinity lacrosse?

A: We return a lot of veterans who have been a part of varsity for two or three years, while also bringing in a lot of young talent who will get the shot to play early. This team has worked very hard in all aspects of the game, and I think it will show during the season, especially come playoff time.