Shamrocks Hooked on Books

Whit Hilleary and Leo McAllister, Staff Reporters

Readers around the world long for one thing: picking up a new book, gluing their eyes to it, and trying to figure out what happens next. Of course, many different classes and subjects revolve around reading, but some love reading so much they join a Rocks book club.

Mr. Bernie Schum heads up the Literary Book Club, which meets in the W. Peter Flaig Library Media Center once a month and offers a place for readers to talk about books they have read and get suggestions from other readers.

The book club is a place to express opinions on good reads. “Everyone has their own strong opinion on reading,” said senior Michael Massey, who has attended many book club meetings.

Massey said he likes attending the meetings because of the community it produces, and he recommends joining the group.

Reading is something that everyone can enjoy, but readers like to find genres they are drawn toward.

“Just put down books you don’t like. Read for your own enjoyment,” Schum said.

It is all about finding that one book that hooks you.

— Trinity Media Specialist Mrs. Betsy deGolian

Talking about books is a great way to learn about various genres. Media Specialist Mrs. Betsy deGolian said, “It is all about finding that one book that hooks you.”

Schum grew up surrounded by books and remembered reading F. Scott Fitzgerald’s “The Great Gatsby” in high school. That novel hooked him and opened his eyes to a world of books.  Schum said when he first read “The Great Gatsby,” he knew that it was a beautiful piece of art, but he did not know how to interpret that beauty.

Literary Book Club members photo by Leo McAllister

With so many choices, book club members can help each other find the right work.  “I enjoy looking at the different perspectives of readers,” Massey said.

New readers or experienced readers are all welcome in the Literary Book Club, giving the group a wide range of people to share opinions.

Massey, who recommended Marissa Meyer’s “Lunar Chronicles” respects opinions held by readers who enjoy other genres.  DeGolian’s favorite book, “Kindred” by Octavia Butler, is one she suggests to any new reader.

Schum thinks that everyone needs to explore reading more. He remembers his high school teachers introducing him to classic novels to show the magic of reading. Schum stressed that learning about different subjects is important.

He was among those who promoted Trinity’s summer read for the entire school. These selections are designed to introduce people to new ideas, just like the book club does for its members.