Sophomore Track Rocks Striving to Reach Goals

Ryan Whelan, Staff Reporter

As the track Rocks work to exceed last year’s region fourth, first-year head coach John Barbagallo will need senior leadership. He will also need a strong underclassman group. 

Barbagallo said, “We didn’t have every event filled last year. This year we will fill them all to get more points.” The Rocks have already racked up seconds in the Collins High Bullskin Relays and the Oldham County Kick-Off Classic.

Trinity sophomore Brendan Lundy photo by Line Drive Photography

Sophomore runner Brendan Lundy, who started running in middle school, joined the Trinity track team because “I just wanted to try something different. I enjoyed it in middle school so why not try it in high school.”

A lot of people around me have run track, like my dad and his friends, and I thought it looked like so much fun.

— Trinity sophomore John Kelley

Trinity sophomore John Kelley  photo by Line Drive Photography

Lundy runs the 200 meters and the 60 meters, with a personal best so far of 28.06 seconds for the 200 and 8.3 seconds for the 60. Lundy said he prefers the 60 because “it’s just a straight shot.”

Sophomore John Kelley joined the cross country and track teams. Kelley decided to try out for the track team his freshman year because “it was the whole culture. A lot of people around me have run track, like my dad and his friends, and I thought it looked like so much fun.”

Kelley, who made the varsity track team this year and runs a 4:58 mile, is hoping to get it down to a 4:50 by the end of the season and 4:30 as a senior.

Trinity sophomore Peyton Tindall photo by Line Drive Photography

Sophomore Peyton Tindall, who just started running track his freshman year, is also a cross country runner.  With hard work and dedication, Tindall has run a 5:30 mile. He is striving for 5:15 and wants to make the varsity by senior year.