A Quick Six with Spring Sports Senior Owen McGreevy

photo by THS Athletics

Trinity senior Owen McGreevy

Zach Woodall, Staff Reporter

A 4.00 student, a Tri-Editor in Chief for the ECHO, and a family legacy with the Rocks that dates back to the ’50s, cross country team and track team member Owen McGreevy answered a few questions.

Q: Why did you begin running track competitively?

A: I got into running my freshman year when my mom encouraged me to try cross country. My grandfather, Greg Larkin, ran for Trinity in the late ’50s and helped Trinity earn its first state championship in any sport. That really helped me get out there and try it out. However, I had played a lot of different sports throughout my life, so I was unsure how I would like running. I quickly fell in love with the sport and the team. Then, once track season came along, the only logical thing to do was to continue running and get faster.

Q: What is the outlook for the track team this season?

As I mentioned earlier, my grandfather went to Trinity. He was in the class of 1959. I grew up going to Trinity games and wearing Trinity gear. So, when I finally made my decision, it was super special, especially since I was going to be my grandfather’s only grandson to go to Trinity. Now, I share the experience of going to this special school with him.

A: We are rapidly improving. Every race a bunch of guys are setting new personal bests. We are looking to win region, which includes some very strong runners from other schools. With our team being so young, I’m excited to see what the team can become in the next couple of years. We have a bunch of really good sophomores who will have some insanely fast times by the time they are seniors.

Q: What events do you compete in and what skills are needed most?

A: I run the 800, 4 x 800, 1,600, and 3,200. All are considered mid-distance events, but the 1,600 and 3,200 are my favorites. For each race, you have to know how to strategize before and during your race. It’s helpful to be flexible and decisive because you never know if you will have to change your pre-race plan in the middle of a race. A good mid-distance runner needs to have both speed and endurance as well as a good work ethic in order to be successful.

Q: What has been your favorite memory on the track  team?

A: My favorite memory on the track team was this year during a 5K race on the track. During cross country, I had been trying to break 17 minutes in the 5K for the whole season. I ended up coming seconds short, running a 17:02 in the regional race. Going into the track 5K, I knew it was my last chance to go under 17 minutes. Even though the weather was horrible, my friend and teammate, Elliott Crumbo, and I were in the lead for almost the whole race. I ended up winning the race and crossing the finish line in 16:13, crushing my goal of sub-17. Then, celebrating with Elliott and my teammates afterwards made the race even more special.

Q: In what way do you plan to continue running after your high school career is over?

A: While I won’t be running for a college team, I might join a running club or group in college. However, I will definitely start competing in road races such as marathons and 5Ks. A big goal of mine is to go under three hours in a marathon, so I won’t stop training hard until I reach that goal. I also think triathlons and ultra marathons are interesting, but that’s a whole other beast to tackle. I definitely plan to continue running for a really long time.

Q: What is your fondest memory of Trinity High School?

A: While I have made so many great memories at Trinity, my fondest would probably have to be when I told my grandfather I was going to attend Trinity. As I mentioned earlier, my grandfather went to Trinity. He was in the class of 1959. I grew up going to Trinity games and wearing Trinity gear. So, when I finally made my decision, it was super special, especially since I was going to be my grandfather’s only grandson to go to Trinity. Now, I share the experience of going to this special school with him.