A Look to the Past as Shamrocks Celebrate 70th Year


photos from the 1957 Shamrock

The first edition of Trinity’s yearbook, the Shamrock was published in 1957. This photo appears on the title page.

ECHO Staff

Seventy years.  When a tiny high school in St. Matthews began in September 1953 with 106 freshmen and four teachers, only the most optimistic could have have envisioned the amazing accomplishments and incredible growth that would take place during the next seven decades.

The first edition of Trinity High School’s yearbook was published in 1957, featuring the school’s first Senior Class and a dedication to Monsignor Alfred W. Steinhauser, the school’s first principal.

The staff wrote in the dedication, “We feel we have been most fortunate in having daily contact with this Champion of Youth. For while Monsignor Steinhauser is well known as Superintendent of Boys’ High Schools in the Archdiocese, to us he is known as ‘a regular guy.'”  — The Graduates