Senior-Laden Archery Rocks Aiming to ‘Be One of the Best Teams in the State’

ECHO Staff

The archery Rocks have notched a first, second and third in January, winning the St. Gabriel Winter Tourney Jan. 21.  The team opened with a strong third in the Trinity/Mercy 9th Annual Shootout, held at Mercy.  They followed with a second at Atherton Jan. 14.

Third-year head coach Jim Hanson said of his experienced squad: “We are returning 11 of 12 varsity archers this year. We have 20 seniors this year, our largest class ever. They were freshmen when I took over as head coach of the archery team. With the addition of some talented freshmen and a few improving sophomores and juniors, we want to be one of the best teams in the state. Our goals are to top our best team score ever recorded in Trinity history and then to bring home Trinity’s first state championship in archery.”

One of the top seniors, Joseph Eng, stated on the Trinity Athletics page: “I’m very excited about this year! We have all the elements of a state-winning team. Coach Hanson is a devoted and fantastic coach, and with an excellent lineup of archers, the state title is in our sights. I’m looking forward to what our freshmen bring to the team and seeing how we grow throughout the season. I know we seniors are eager to start and will undoubtedly step up as leaders to guide the team and take state.”

The Rocks next compete in the Sacred Heart All Heart Tourney on Jan. 28.