A Quick Six with Spring Sports Senior Aaron Grimm

Trinity senior Aaron Grimm

Trinity senior Aaron Grimm

Jackson Heim, Staff Reporter

The defending state champion volleyball Rocks, currently on a six-match winning streak, rely on seniors for leadership.  One of those team leaders, Aaron Grimm, answered a few questions about his volleyball career. 

Q: Why did you begin competing in volleyball?

A: I started playing volleyball in eighth grade. I played almost every sport growing up and was looking for one to continue into high school. Once I tried volleyball, I knew it was the sport I wanted to focus on, and I’ve been playing ever since.

My fondest memory of Trinity High School would have to be all of the relationships that I have formed. Trinity has given me friends that I know I will have for the rest of my life.

— Trinity senior Aaron Grimm

Q: How is the season going so far?  

A: The season is going well so far. We started off a little rough, but as we get better every single time we play. The team has been battling injuries and sickness the entire season, and we are finally at 100 percent, so I’m looking forward to what we can do moving ahead.

Q: What is your part on the team and what skills does that require?

A: I play middle blocker on the team. This is a position that requires physical skills such as horizontal agility and quickness as well as having a good vertical jump. It is also a necessity as a middle blocker to have a high volleyball IQ. This comes into play when trying to read the opposing setter and knowing where to make a blocking move, which can be difficult because the middle blocker has to block every hitter on the court.

Q: What has been your favorite memory on the team?

A: My favorite memory has to be winning the state championship last year. We knew that it was going to be a challenge. We had a 1-2 record that season against the team we were playing in the title match, but we were able to pull it off. This was the first (volleyball) state title for Trinity in about a decade, and it was amazing to be able to be a part of that team. We are hoping to have the same outcome this year.

Q: In what way do you plan to continue your sport after your high school career?

A: Next year I will be continuing my volleyball career at Ohio State University. As a lifelong Ohio State fan and both of my parents being alumni, I could not be more excited for my next steps in volleyball. Trinity volleyball has helped me develop the work ethic and passion that has brought me to this point in my athletic career, and I am very thankful for that.

Q: What is your fondest memory of Trinity High School?

A: My fondest memory of Trinity High School would have to be all of the relationships that I have formed. Trinity has given me friends that I know I will have for the rest of my life. I have been able to develop close relationships with coaches and teachers that I can trust in, and that I can turn to at any time. It is truly special what Trinity is able to do beyond the academic perspective and into the development of character and brotherhood.